Gary F, John S, List, all,

I'm glad to hear some of the suggestions might have been helpful--at least to
Gary F. The same goes for the transcriptions he has been posting of the Lowell
Lectures and the thoughtful comments that he, John and many others have been
making about the contents of those lectures.

Reflecting on the classification of relations in "The Logic of Mathematics, an
attempt..." in light of the essays and lectures written around 1903, including
NDDR, NDTR, and the Lowell Lectures, I wanted to venture an interpretative
hypothesis about how we might understand his account of the relations that are
involved in the different classes of genuine triadic relations that he
characterizes.

Peirce distinguishes between three main classes of genuine triadic relations.
We can separate the three based on what is serving in the place of the first,
second and third correlates of such relations. As such, we have:

1.  Laws of quality:  the first and second correlates are qualities, and the
third correlate is a law governing the relations between those qualities (e.g.,
Newton's laws of color).

2. Laws of fact:  the first and second correlates are facts, and the third
correlate is a law governing the relations between those facts (e.g., the
nomological laws of dynamics, the classificatory laws of chemistry, etc.)

3. Representations: the first correlate is thought playing the role of a first,
the second correlate is thought playing the role of a second, and the third
correlate is thought playing the role of a third, and the first mediates the
relationship between the second and third--and so on in an iterative pattern.

Up until now, I've largely thought about these three general classes separately
and have tried to understand each on its own terms. Given the complexities
involved in his account of the different classes of triadic relations involved
in the laws of fact, it has been difficult to get a clear sense of what Peirce
is drawing on as a basis for the classificatory system. Here is a diagram of
part of the classification that he provides for genuine triadic relations under
the laws of fact in "The Logic of Mathematics, an attempt...".

[cid:28d663e5-c381-472c-b361-92ced2cc0d8f]

Looking back at "A Guess at the Riddle" and the drafts that formed lecture 7 in
the 1898 Lowell Lectures, I'm beginning to see a pattern that was not obvious
to me before our recent discussion of the 1903 Lowell Lectures.

The general idea is straightforward enough. If we focus our attention on the
classes of genuine triadic relations involved in the laws of fact that govern
contingent connections between substances, then I see the following pattern as
we move from (a) the nomological laws of dynamics through (b) the laws of
chemistry to (c) the law of psychics and (d) up to the law of mind, then we can
understand the classes in terms of the character of the three correlates.

a) In the case of the laws of dynamics, the law is a necessary rule that serves
as the third correlate, and it governs the relations between brute facts that
serve as the first and second.

b) In the case of the laws of organic chemistry, the law has the character of a
general habit, and it governs the relations between brute facts and general
facts that serve as the first and second correlates

c) In the case of the law of psychics, the third correlate has the character of
a general habit, and it governs the relations between general facts and other
habits as the first and second correlates.

d) in the case of the law of mind, the third correlate has the character of a
general habit, and it governs the relations between general habits as the first
and second correlates.

As such, I am trying to establish a pattern in which the "general rule" that
functions as the third correlate goes from a necessary law to a growing habit,
and the first and second correlates go from brute facts to general facts to
habits.

If this is a coherent explanation of the general pattern, then let me add the
following complications. First, each of the three correlates can be considered
as having various components. That is, general facts involve brute facts which,
in turn, involve qualitative facts. Second, the various relations involved can
be organized around three strata as layers of possibles, existents, and
necessitants. This was a key suggestion that Peirce makes in his discussion of
sign relations, and I'm exploring the idea that it can be fruitfully applied to
all genuine triadic relations. In this fashion, I think we can apply the idea
that some correlates are determined by other correlates in a particular kind of
pattern.

If this is on the right track, then I think it provides a pattern that
naturally fits with his account of representations as thoroughly genuine
triadic relations.

Here are two questions:

i) Does any of this make sense as an interpretation of Peirce's classification
of genuine triadic relations in these essays and lectures written between
1896-1903--focusing on the kinds of correlates that are involved?

ii) If it does, then was the general idea already obvious to others?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy