Jeff, list,

To answer your double question at the end, for me your analysis hits pretty
close to the 'sweet spot' between the obvious and the dubious, or between
the already-known and the incomprehensible. But it's complex enough that I
will have to experiment some more with applying it to current readings of
Peirce texts. So all I give here is some preliminary comments.

Your diagram of dichotomies below is based on the 1896 "Logic of
Mathematics" and I haven't looked closely at that for awhile; but at first
glance, it's a bit startling to see "chemistry" given as a subdivision of
Laws of Psychics (rather than Physics), even if you're only referring to
organic chemistry. (or to neurochemistry, even.) I'll have to take a closer
look at how "chemistry" is defined in this context.

Your third class of genuine triadic relations adheres closely to the Lowell
3 text:

"3. Representations: the first correlate is thought playing the role of a
first, the second correlate is thought playing the role of a second, and the
third correlate is thought playing the role of a third, and the first
mediates the relationship between the second and third--and so on in an
iterative pattern."

But the last part is startling at first because we have a first rather than
a third doing the mediation; but as Lowell 3 says, Mediation is a (more or
less adequate) name for the Firstness of Thirdness. It is First in respect
to the other two correlates, but it is nevertheless Thought, or Thirdness. I
remember when Vinicius Romanini pointed out to me that in the manuscript of
NDTR, Peirce at first had written that the Sign was the Third correlate of
the triadic relation, but then crossed it out and wrote "First" correlate
instead. It's confusing because the Firstness of Thirdness is both Firstness
and Thirdness, but in different respects. I think your "iterative pattern"
idea has the potential to clear up this kind of confusion. I didn't know
what you meant by it at first, and I'm still not sure, but it reminds me of
a fractal pattern, which of course is generated iteratively - and your "and
so on" refers to the process continuing with discrete iterations. And that's
about as far as I've taken the idea.

I'll have to stop here for now, as the grandson just arrived for a visit and
that will make it hard to keep a line of thought on track. I also want to
have a closer look at Gary R's post in this thread . not right now though.

Gary f.