Jerry, list,

CSP wrote: the meaning of anything lies in what it aims at. - This what teleology is about.

The problem lies in that we cannot just just look and see what the aims are. - Can you now just see what my aim now is? - You may and most probably do have thoughts and opinions on the issue, but how about finding out whether they are true about this particular case?

Putnam quote takes up only one side of the issue of finding out. Also the other side, that of loosing one's way, finding oneself utterly confused, loosing one's foothold etc.

Reading Aristotle often does that. So does reading CSP, or Hegel etc.. Wittgenstein even made it kind of his aim.

CSP was quite clear in his critique of relying on the method of authority only. But it is very often gone unnoticed that he did not just condemn it. His advice was to try (whatever) out first, as best one can. And only if one can find independent proof, not just once but repeatedly, THEN accept some (or much) authority to the writer in question.

These belong to the basics of scientific proof by empirical testing. No results of a single experiment proves anything. There always has to be a series of expreriments.

Along with the common belief that single words carry a meaning which simply can be defined (which does not fit with the just as common agreement that all meanings are contextual), there goes the belief that scientific facts are provided by results of any single empirical experiment.

All and any empirical experiments may have methodical faults. Which may undermine the results. - This is much more often the case than is commonly believed. - CSP knew that very well. Having thoroughly explored the very idea of probablity and its consequences.

He also explicitely wrote that he does not wish to be a shepherd followed by a pack of lambs. That he wished all and everyone to try out oneself. He advised NOT TO BELIEVE just BECAUSE HE SAID so and so.

So, you are quite right in questioning all BECAUSE types of grounds.

It may be easy to read Aristotle, but it is not definitely not easy to understand what he meant. Disputes on that have no end.

I've had long discussions with most expert Aristotelians in Finland on some issues. (The major works by Aristotle were translated into Finnish. A huge project, a huge investment in our scale.)

On the issue of ultimate aim the answer by CSP was very clear, oftentimes repeated in various wordings. On this issue he said that, like THE TRUTH, it cannot be known, but only foreseen as kinds of schetches. - All aims, by their natur AS aims point at the future, and the future is never yet here. As such it always remains vague.

If there is no future, there cannot be any aims. But if there is no future (the cosmos collapses ot so), there are no us to ponder about it.

We humans just have to live with this. Faring as well and best as we can.

Best, Kirsti

P.S. I do not put refererences to CSP's writings in my contributions to the list, because anyone nowadays can find those by making an internet search, just by combining some key words. - Let's have machines do what they can do, and leave us humans to do what the machines cannot do.

Sorry for typos, but I do not have time or energy to look this over. Those who are interested in what I aim to convey, will look beyond trivialities.