On 1/1/2018 7:07 AM, Auke van Breemen wrote:
I am quite sure Peirce felt rationally necessitated to be of
the opinion that it is not allowed to favor his suggestions
after they pop up only on the basis that they are written by him.

I agree.  But Peirce would also insist that readers should
make a clear distinction between his exact words and anybody
else's interpretation.  Note how strongly he objected to the
version of pragmatism by William James.  He even replaced the
word 'pragmatism' with 'pragmaticism' to avoid any confusion.

As I said in my note about ways of studying Peirce, the first
is trying to determine exactly what he said.  But there may be
5, 7, or indefinitely (infinitely?) many ways of interpreting,
building on, using, and extending his work.

Filling in gaps tentatively due to inaccessible manuscripts offers
a chance to check our understanding at some future time, as well
of the text as of the object the text tries to understand.

Yes, of course.  There has been a century of developments that
Peirce could not have known.  Even for those subjects he knew
very well, he did not provide an exhaustive analysis of every
detail.  We must fill in those gaps, but we also have to be
clear about the sources.

And by the way, I like to quote a comment that Hilary Putnam
made about Aristotle:  "Whenever I become clearer about a
subject, I find that Aristotle has also become clearer."

I would make that same comment about Peirce.