Jon, list,

Thanks for your good wishes regarding my cataract surgery. As I noted
earlier, I've pretty much run out of time before the Friday surgery and
wanted to respond not only to you and Gary f, which I was able to do a few
times recently, but I also wanted to respond to Jeff as I hadn't had that
opportunity until today. So that's why I haven't been able, until now, to
respond to your most recent post. I had to cancel a dental appt. today,
which gave me a little more unexpected time to comment.

You wrote: "My main request was to identify the Signs that correspond to
the Immediate Objects that you posited.  My understanding of the triadic
nature of semiosis is such that something *cannot *be an Immediate Object
unless it serves as such *within *a particular Sign."

To which I'd add that Peirce holds that both the immediate object and the
emotional interpretant are "*subjective*."

"In point of fact, we do find that the immediate object and emotional
interpretant correspond, both being apprehensions, or are "subjective";
both, too, appertain to all signs without exception." (EP 2:410; 1907)

JS: "Socrates" and "vase" are indeed both Rhemes, but taking Bellucci's
clue as I have applied it to the statue, their Immediate Objects as used in
these examples correspond to different quantifications--"Socrates" is
singular (Designative), while "vase" is general (Collective).

GR: Firstly, I see no reason to take "Bellucci's clue," and there is much
else I do not agree with in his interpretation. Secondly, you seem to leap
to a wholly abstract way of analyzing *my* semiosic experience so that for
you my 'vase' cannot be 'this vase' that I perceive and make an immediate
object in my inner semiosis. It may be the case that at the moment of
recognition of the vase *qua* vase that I unconsciously (via memory) take
it to be an example of that Collective (general) 'vase'despite its bizarre
shape, but it is *this* vase that is the dynamic object of my subjective
immediate object.

JS: Furthermore, I still maintain that when the Athenian says "Socrates" to
himself, what he is *really *saying to himself is "that is Socrates"; i.e.,
he is making a perceptual judgment, either presenting (as hypothesis) or
asserting (as fact) a proposition.  It seems to me that only the vague
thought of (absent) Socrates as generated by the imagination could be a
true Rheme.

GR: And I continue to disagree with you. Again, you seem to me to leap to
*assertions* and *propositions* which, as I see it in the case of the
example of the Athenian, would happen *de post facto*. I don't at all see
why you find this logicizing essential and necessary to an individual's
subjective semiosis. Closely connected to this, at times it seems to me
almost as if you don't truly accept that there are real signs with
immediate objects lower in the classification (although you've stated that
you agree with all those quotes I gave where Peirce says or infers that all
signs must have immediate object, even in order to be a sign, and analyze
the Soldier Statue example *as* a Qualisign). Your example of "the vague
thought of (absent) Socrates" almost confirms this for me. In short, what
you're doing seems to me logical analysis after the fact of the subjective
"experience" of the sign, rather ignoring EP2:410 above. So, perhaps we
both need to further reflect on what Peirce means by saying that the
immediate object is *within the sign* (rather than without, as the dynamic
object is).

GR: As I've already written more than I intended, I'll only briefly comment
within your comments on the Common Soldier statue, relating it to my vase
example where possible. You wrote:

JS: As I noted previously, Peirce gave the somewhat surprising example of a
statue of a common soldier in a town square as a Descriptive Potisign
(Qualisign).  Here is what he said about it.

CSP:  ... in the middle of this will be a stone statue, often of granite,
representing a common soldier standing in his regulation overcoat and
resting on his grounded musket. Nothing imaginable could be more devoid of
imagination, less idealized, less artistically beautiful. They are eyesores
to all cultivated people; but not to me. For I know that that means that
almost every family in that place,—vulgar people. . .  The very fact of
their vulgarity, which the statue proclaims above all else, makes this
universal self-sacrifice on the altar of the abstraction which we call the
"general government" pathetically sublime. To each such family, that very
realistic statue represents the mourned one who fell in the war. That
statue is one piece of granite, and not a Famisign. Yet it is what we call
a "General" sign, meaning that it is *applicable *to many singulars. It is
not *itself *General: it is its Object which is taken to be General. And
yet this Object is not truly Universal, in the sense of implying a truth of
the kind of "Any S is P"; it only expresses "Some S is P." This makes it
*not *a //*Copulant/Copulative*// but only a *Descriptive*. This needs to
be borne in mind. (EP 2:486; 1908)

JS: The Dynamic Object of the statue is *general **[it is general because
it is "representing a common soldier," whereas my vase in the unfamiliar
room is a particular vase GR]* presumably the collection (or continuum?) of
soldiers who fell in the Civil War* [but my vase doesn't represent vases in
general, but is a unique example of one (and peculiar in its shape, etc. in
my example), recognized by me (through my memory, etc.) as a vase (and
that's the sum of the generality in it]*; so the Sign *[the statue, its DO
representing something common, and *not* a unique DO as in the case of my
vase]* is a Collective (he introduced this term later).  However, its
Immediate Object is *vague **[where, btw, do you *locate* this immediate
object? Subjectively in that someone is observing it? If not, where? ]*, so
the Sign is a Descriptive *[my immediate object is *not* vague, but is of
*this* unique and peculiar vase--which, btw, may turn out *not* to be a
vase at all, but a piece of sculpture]*; Peirce even said that it expresses
a *particular *proposition (not a *universal *one) *[and I maintain that my
vase expresses no proposition whatsoever, although you disagree]*,
consistent with Bellucci's hypothesis [this statue is *loaded* with
meaning; my vase is not].  But this entails that the statue, as a Sign,
*must *be a Qualisign [do you mean that it* involves* a Qualisign? It seems
to me that what is Qualisignific here would entail not one, but several
Qualisigns], and thus an Icon and a Rheme; as such, it *cannot *be a
proposition.  Yet obviously it is *embodied *as a Sinsign, as all
Qualisigns (and Legisigns) *must *be, and a Sinsign *can *be a Dicisign.
Does the statue, as an embodied Qualisign, turn out to be a Dicent Sinsign
of a peculiar kind?  If so, what are S and P in the particular proposition
that it expresses? *[I don't see at all why you are emphasizing what is
Qualisignic about it.]*

While it's kind of 'fun', I can't say that I find this kind of meta- on top
of meta-analysis, heavy with problematic terminology, very helpful.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*