List,

Today I received a Facebook post which included this quotation:

“*I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss,
ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good
science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental
problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need
a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how
to do that*.” Gus Spaeth, a US adviser on climate change

I wonder (1) whether list members agree that the top environmental problems
aren't "biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change" but,
rather, "selfishness, greed and apathy" and, if the latter (2) the extent
to which one concurs that "scientists don't know how to address" these
issues, that even after decades of "good science" around these problems
that science hasn't been able to significantly impact the most serious
environmental problems because these are essentially ethical issues and,
finally (3) what thoughts forum members might have on how Peircean
pragmatism might address these environmental/ethical issues, however one
might frame them.

I'd be interested in the views of frequent contributors to this forum, but
also those of less active list members. I don't present this as a matter
for 'debate' but, really, just thoughtful reflection.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*