Dan, list

        I suggest that Sequoia's development of a syllabary in the 19th c,
for Cherokee - was quite different from the other written language
and mnemonic methods used by large populations in earlier times.
Sequoia was aware of the written language used by settlers - and
developed one for his language.

        I'd suggest that the other written forms emerged as communal efforts
but that's as far as one can go with any certainty. The point is, it
isn't needed in small populations and only needed in large settled
[some form of agriculture] societies.

        As you say - it only emerged a few times in world history - among
peoples separate from each other; i.e., no diffusion - and I feel
that it is related to the need for some kind of mnemonic device and a
different perspective on history - and authority.

        Edwina
 On Tue 14/08/18  4:36 AM , Daniel L Everett danleveret...@gmail.com
sent:
 Written language has only been invented a handful of times in world
history. It was never invented for English, for example, but adapted
from a pre-existing system invented by others.
 It was invented separately by Sequoia, for his language - Cheokee.
Not a large civilization. Sequoia’s syllabary was an intellectual
breakthrough of the first rank.
 Dan
 Sent from my iPhone