Jon,

I don't find your blunt assertion that action is only at the level of 2ns to be
responsive to my point.

One utters speech in order to perform a speech act in language. Speech is a
physical phonetic phenomenon that can be taken to be and is action at the 2ns
level, but speech is performed in order to be taken at the symbolic level, that
of language, where it performs an event of the symbolic type and the nature of
the event that occurs is an act. The act of promising, asserting, ordering,
praising, etc. Such a speech act is an element of an inter-action. I don't see
how one could begin to make sense of symbolic signs if one excludes act, and
action and interaction. Obviously a symbolic act is different from a physical
act, but it is still an act, and one for which one might well receive a brute
physical reaction.

Do you really intend to deny there is such a thing, albeit merely symbolic, as
a symbolic act?

Charles Pyle