John, List,

I too agree with Gary f and JAS that choosing 'mark' rather than 'tone' is
a judgment call.

A number of weeks (months?) ago when this was first discussed on the list I
also mentioned that there was perhaps some pedagogical value in having
three 't's': tone/token/type.

But of much great significance, in discussions with the linguist, Michael
Shapiro (a member of this list and a Peirce-oriented linguist) I've become
familiar with the importance of the concept of 'markedness' in linguistics.
'Mark' having established a decided meaning in that discipline is perhaps
yet another reason to prefer 'tone' to 'mark' in semeiotics.

In linguistics, *markedness* refers to the way words are changed or added
to give a special meaning. The *unmarked choice* is just the normal
meaning. For example, the present tense is unmarked for English verbs. If I
just say "walk" that refers to the present tense. But if I add something to
"walk" (marking it), such as adding ‘ed’ to the end, I can indicate the
past: "walked".

http://www.analytictech.com/mb119/markedne.htm

Other parts of this brief article from which this quotation is taken
perhaps bear on this discussion as well. For example:

Outside of linguistics, markedness refers more generally to a choice that
has meaning. If I meet you on campus and say "Hi, how are you?" you may or
may not even answer the question. But if I say "Hi, how’s your dad?" this
is special. You are likely to think of the question as actually asking how
your dad is.

A good short introduction to linguistic markedness can be found here:
https://www.thoughtco.com/markedness-language-term-1691302

Best,

Gary R

*Gary Richmond*