Edwina, Mike, List:

1.  Mindful of (and agreeing with) Gary R.'s request for at least a
temporary moratorium on this topic, I hesitated to respond; but I decided
to try clarifying my position once more, since there has been some evident
misunderstanding of it.  The referenced paper and subsequent discussion are
about brain *act*ivity, which is always *act*ual, so characterizing it as
*act*ion is not problematic from a Peircean perspective.  Moreover, it
falls under the (idioscopic) Special Science of neurophysiology, rather
than (cenoscopic) Phaneroscopy, Normative Science, or Metaphysics.  It is
primarily within the latter fields that I believe carefully distinguishing
the Categories from each other is especially important.

2.  Again, as far as I know, Peirce never proposed "the triadic spokes or Y
shape" as a representation of the Sign *itself*; only as a representation
of a triadic *relation*, such as the one that the Sign *has *with its
Object and Interpretant.  I share the concern about properly capturing
the *mediation
*aspect of semiosis, but I do not see how a Y is any better than a triangle
from that standpoint.

3.  I am also uncomfortable with characterizing the Sign as a "function"
that *transforms *"input" (Object) *into* "output" (Interpretant).  For one
thing, this has a deterministic connotation--in mathematics, even
non-linear functions always produce the same output upon receiving the same
input.  In any case, Peirce's own description was instead that the Sign
*communicates *a Form *from *the Object *to* the Interpretant, in such a
way that the Object is unaffected by the Sign and the Sign is unaffected by
the Interpretant (cf. EP 2:544n22; 1906).