Jon, Helmut, List,

Jon wrote:

JAS: [T]he Sign *itself *is not a triadic relation; it is one *Correlate *
(or *Subject*) of a triadic relation, along with the Object and the
Interpretant.  I think it is very important to maintain this fundamental
distinction.

I would strongly agree. One would think that in consideration of the
cenoscopic science of *logic as semeiotics* that "the Sign itself. . . is
one Correlate. . . of a triadic relation" would be seen as a settled matter
however differently it might (correctly or incorrectly) be seen by some in,
say, some idioscopic science. From what I can tell from decades of reading
the secondary literature on this matter, with few exceptions amongst
semioticians it is a settled matter. In any event, Peirce is emphatic that
"the Sign *itself* is not a triadic relation."

JAS: As I said earlier today in another thread, a Y is adequate as a
*logical *representation of any triadic relation, but it omits the
distinctive "directionality" of semiosis--*from *the Object *through *the
Sign *to *the Interpretant.

I agree. In fact, for the directionality of semiosis the triangle with bent
arrows works quite well.
[image: image.png]
In trichotomic, semiosis follows the directionality of the vector of
determination, namely from the Object, 2ns (at the bottom vertex of the
triangle) through the Sign, 1ns (at its top), to the Interpretant, 3ns (at
the vertex on the right).

Peirce uses both the turnstile, Y, and the triangle in various triadic
diagrams in his discussion of semeiotics--but* for different purposes*. One
is not 'right', the other 'wrong' as some assert.

The triangle is also handy when considering trichotomic relations in
Phenomenology and Metaphysics. For example (as it is analyzed categorially
in "A Neglected Argument":

[image: image.png]

JAS: "S mediates between O and I" is indeed quite general, but it is
Peirce's own formulation once that "directionality" is incorporated--"O
determines S relatively to I, and S determines I in reference to O, such
that O determines I through the mediation of S" (cf. EP 2:410; 1907).  Mats
Bergman even characterized this as "one of Peirce's finest sign
definitions."

As I suggested above, Mats Bergman is hardly alone in maintaining that the
directionality of semeiosis is essential in defining the Sign.

JAS: "S represents O to I" is more specific, but still correct with I as
the Interpretant, since that is the "essential ingredient" of the
interpreter, just as the Object is the "essential ingredient" of the
utterer (cf. EP 2:404; 1907).

Exactly. In other words: The Object is 'utterer' of the Sign; it mediates
between the Object and the Interpretant (the Sign representing the Object
to the 'interpreter'). O -> S -> I

JAS:
However, "S represents O as I" seems incorrect to me; rather, "S represents
DO as IO" is closer to my understanding.

My understanding as well.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*