}Gary R, list

        I don't divide up the world into separate realms of inquiry, so,
when you write:

        "And, by the way, I would not identify the categories, 1ns/2ns/3ns,
which are a product of phenomenological inquiry, with the Three
Universes, which are a product of metaphysical inquiry, something
which you at least seem to do when you write "the three
categories/universes." Obviously the Three Universes have a direct
connection to the Categories, yet as I see it it is an error to
conflate or identify them. "

        ...then, I'm not involved in such a separation of the terms in these
disciplines. The three universes, as you note, do have a direct
connection to the Categories - and that's my point. I agree with John
that 'the entities of pure mathematics do not exist in the universe of
actuality' - but I don't see how this is a problem.

        Edwina
 On Wed 22/08/18  5:26 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, John, Jon, list,
 Edwina wrote: So- nothing I've said denies the quotes you've
provided.
 I have written enough today on this topic, yet I think that a close
reading of at least some of those quotations would refute your
denial. But for now let me just ask you, do you agree with the way
John Sowa distinguished the three universes in his recent post?
 JS: I was using Peirce's three disjoint universes. The entities of
pure mathematics do not exist in the universe of actuality.
 The entities in the universe of necessity, such as laws, are also
outside the universe of actuality.
 For me the key phrase in the first passage above is "do not exist in
the universe of actuality," and in the second, "are also outside the
universe of actuality." I doubt that you'd agree with John that these
are "three disjoint universes" (I am assuming that by "disjoint" he
means here distinct/discrete.)
 And, by the way, I would not identify the categories, 1ns/2ns/3ns,
which are a product of phenomenological inquiry, with the Three
Universes, which are a product of metaphysical inquiry, something
which you at least seem to do when you write "the three
categories/universes." Obviously the Three Universes have a direct
connection to the Categories, yet as I see it it is an error to
conflate or identify them.
 In addition, as Jon just wrote:  "The constituents of Peirce's third
Universe--includ[e] not only Laws, but also Signs, Habits, and
continua (EP 2:435&479; 1908)-"  and, in my view, continua in
particular unequivocally distinguish the third universe from the
second.
 Parenthetically, I'd add that in my view it is an error not to
differentiate the universal categories of 1ns/2ns/3ns from their
application within semeiotics, metaphysics, and elsewhere. These are
separate sciences with different goals, etc. So,  note that in
Peirce's classification (following Comte) a science lower in the
classification  may depend on another higher in the classification
for principles, but it does not furnish principles to those higher in
the classification, although often enough, it provides examples to
those sciences.
 Mathematics, as 'first science', furnishes principles to most all
the sciences following it in the classification; and phenomenology,
2nd science (!) furnishes principles (notably, the universal
categories) to certain sciences below it in the classification (such
as semeiotics and metaphysics). (Note: as discussed here from time to
time, a science being "lower" in the classification of science in no
way implies that that science is in any way less significant or
important.)
 Best,
 Gary
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical Thinking Communication StudiesLaGuardia
College of the City University of New York718 482-5690