Gary R., Helmut, List:

GR:  Modality will, I think, continue to be difficult to graph, and not
only via EGs ...

Peirce acknowledged as much.  I apologize for the long quotes, but the full
context seems necessary.

CSP:  In selecting a mode of representing Modality, which I have not done
without much experimentation, I have finally resorted to one which commits
itself as little as possible to any particular theory of the nature of
Modality, although there are undeniable objections to such a course. If any
particular analysis of Modality had appeared to me to be quite evident, I
should have endeavored to exhibit it unequivocally. Meantime, my opinion is
that the Universe is a Subject of every Proposition and that any Modality
shown by its indefiniteness to be Affirmative, such as Possibility and
Intention, is a special determination of the Universe of The Truth.
Something of this sort is seen in Negation. For if we say of a Man that he
is not sinless, we represent the sinless as having a place only in an ideal
universe which, or the part of which that contains the imagined sinless
being, we then positively sever from the identity of the man in question.
(CP 4.552n1; 1906)

CSP:  I may as well, at once, acknowledge that, in Existential Graphs, the
representation of Modality (possibility, necessity, etc.) lacks almost
entirely that pictorial, or Iconic, character which is so striking in the
representation in the same system of every feature of propositions *de
inesse*. Perhaps it is in the nature of things that it should be so in such
wise that for Modality to be iconically represented in that same
"pictorial" way in which the other features are represented would
constitute a falsity in the representation. If so, it is a perfect
vindication of the system, upon whose accusers, I suppose, the burden of
proof lies. Still, I confess I suspect there is in the heraldic
representation of modality as set forth in my paper on the System
["Prolegomena to an Apology for Pragmaticism"] ... a defect capable of
being remedied. If it be not so, if the lack of "pictorialness" in the
representation of modality cannot be remedied, it is because modality has,
in truth, the nature which I opined it has (which opinion I expressed
toward the end of the footnote [quoted above] ...); and if that be the
case, Modality is not, properly speaking, conceivable at all, but the
difference, for example, between possibility and actuality is only
recognizable much in the same way as we recognize the difference between a
dream and waking experience, supposing the dream to be ever so detailed,
reasonable, and thoroughly consistent with itself and with all the rest of
the dreamer's experience. Namely, it still would not be so "vivid" as
waking experience. (R 298, CP 4.553n1; 1906)

I might have more to say in the future about "the difference between a
dream and waking experience," perhaps in the other thread on "EGs and
Phaneroscopy."  For now, returning to the topic of *this *thread, note
Peirce's statement that "the Universe is a Subject of every Proposition."
This is consistent with my contention that anything within a Proposition
that refers to the *contents *of the Universe--i.e., any member of any of
the three Universes of Experience, of which an interpreting Quasi-mind can
only have knowledge by means of previous Collateral Experience--is likewise
properly understood as a logical *subject* (i.e., the Proposition's *Object*),
not a logical predicate (i.e., its *Interpretant*).

Speaking of which, in a 2014 paper, "Peirce and the Unity of the Proposition
<https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/trancharpeirsoc.50.2.201>," Franceso
Bellucci cited yet another passage--the earliest discovered so far--in
which Peirce described the concept of the Continuous Predicate, although he
did not give it that or any other name.  It is on pages 491-493 [331r-332r]
of the Logic Notebook (R 339), which he dated October 17-20, 1908--just a
few days before he wrote R 611, whose pages he dated October 28, 1908,
where he used the term "Continuous Relation."  Again, please forgive the
long quotation.

CSP:  I need not tell you that any assertion is composed of *subject* and
*predicate*; for grammar has taught you that.  Grammar, however, looks upon
these matters in a superficial way; and the traditional logic is scarcely
better.  Permit me to suggest your regarding the matter from a different
point of view, from which I am confident that, as soon as you become
familiar with it, you will agree with me that the true composition of an
assertion is revealed much more distinctly than from that of grammar.  In
the first place, then, when I speak of the *subject* I do not mean the
grammatical subject nominative, nor do I necessarily mean that thing which
the subject nominative denotes.  I cannot in a simple brief sentence give
you a perfectly distinct idea of what I mean.  I shall have to be a little
vague at first.  By the subject I mean that about which the assertion is
made, whether the name of it be in the nominative or not.  You must
consider the *meaning*, not the linguistic expression merely ...
Two remarks will serve to give you a clearer notion of what I mean by a
dynamical subject of an assertion.  The first is this.  I have said that
the subjects and predicate are the two parts of an assertion.  (Abelard
reckoned the copula as a third part; and in a certain sense, it is a part
of an assertion, but not in the sense in which the subject and predicate
are parts.  It is nothing but a mark that the predicate is to be understood
predicatively, that is, as conveying information, and not as limiting the
denotation of the grammatical subject.)  Now while the predicate may
express a novel combination of [?] characters, such as the interpreter
never dreamed of before of any subject possessing, no assertion can make us
acquainted with its dynamical subject, but can only point it out among the
things with which some collateral experience must make the interpreter
acquainted before the assertion can convey its meaning to him ...
The second remark about the subject of an assertion is that more or fewer
objects may be regarded as subjects while the remainder of the assertion is
the predicate.  Moreover instead of regarding the subjects are plural one
may regard the whole set as forming the *Collective Dynamical Subject*.
The *Complete* Collective Dynamical Subject includes *all* that it is
necessary to be acquainted with in order to understand the assertion,
excepting the forms of connection between the different *Single Subjects*.
Thus in the assertion "Every catholic adores some woman," the Complete
Subject embraces 1st:  The character of being catholic.  2nd:  The
character of the relation of adoring.  3rd:  The character of being of
woman; and the proposition is that, The character of being catholic
determines anything to be in the relation of adoring to something having
the character of a woman.
To analyze an assertion into Subjects & Predicate, comes to making the
Subjects to be all the single monads that can be imagined that with
Predicates will make up the Assertion

The Great Pyramid is white

Its subjects are "The Great Pyramid" and "whiteness"

The Great Pyramid *possesses* the character of whiteness

Peirce then scribed a few different EGs to represent this proposition, and
did likewise with "Brutus kills Caesar"; see attached.  Notice that in each
case, he experimented with making "is in the relation" the only Spot with
multiple Pegs--one for the first correlate, whether "Pyr." or "Brutus"; one
for the relation itself (labeled "of"), whether "possessing" or "killing";
and one for the second correlate (labeled "to"), whether "whiteness" or
"Caesar."  A potential advantage that I can see of this approach is the
ability to insert a Cut around any of the four resulting Spots or
combinations thereof.  Only three additional Propositions can be
represented by adding a single Cut to "Pyr.---white."

   - Enclose "Pyr." to represent "Something that is not the Great Pyramid
   is white."
   - Enclose "white" to represent "The Great Pyramid exists and is not
   white."
   - Enclose "Pyr.---white" to represent "It is false that the Great
   Pyramid is white."

Six additional Propositions can be represented by adding Cuts to
"Brutus---kills---Caesar," and the same is true in parallel fashion of
"Pyr.---possesses---whiteness" as an alternative to "Pyr.---white"; i.e.,
twice as many.

   - Enclose "Brutus" to represent "Something that is not Brutus kills
   Caesar."
   - Enclose "kills" to represent "Brutus and Caesar exist, and Brutus does
   not kill Caesar."
   - Enclose "Caesar" to represent "Brutus kills something that is not
   Caesar."
   - Enclose "Brutus---kills" to represent "Caesar exists and is not killed
   by Brutus."
   - Enclose "kills---Caesar" to represent "Brutus exists and does not kill
   Caesar."
   - Enclose "Brutus---kills---Caesar" to represent "It is false that
   Brutus kills Caesar.

Scribing "Brutus," "killing," and "Caesar"--or, for that matter, "Pyr.,"
"possessing," and "whiteness"--as Subjects (with one Peg each) and "is in
the relation of/to" as the Continuous Predicate (with three Pegs)
facilitates even more possibilities.

   - Enclose "is in the relation of/to" to represent "Brutus, killing, and
   Caesar exist, and Brutus does not kill Caesar."
   - Enclose "killing" to represent "Brutus is in the relation to Caesar of
   something that is not killing."
   - Enclose "Brutus---is in the relation of/to" to represent "killing and
   Caesar exist, and Brutus does not kill Caesar."
   - Enclose "is in the relation of/to---Caesar" to represent "Brutus and
   killing exist, and Brutus does not kill Caesar."
   - Enclose "killing" and "Caesar" to represent "Brutus is in the relation
   of something that is not killing to something that is not Caesar."
   - Enclose everything except "Brutus" to represent "Brutus exists, and
   Brutus does not kill Caesar."
   - Enclose everything except "is in the relation of/to" to represent "a
   dyadic relation exists, and Brutus does not kill Caesar."
   - Enclose everything except "killing" to represent "killing exists, and
   Brutus does not kill Caesar."
   - Enclose everything except "Caesar" to represent "Caesar exists, and
   Brutus does not kill Caesar."

I welcome correction if I am not properly stating the implications of each
proposed Cut.  Regardless, these examples effectively illustrate how the
standard Graphs of the original Propositions *conceal *Continuous
Predicates *within *Spots, as I pointed out previously.  It seems to me
that a truly "ultimate" logical analysis should make them explicit, as
Peirce evidently considered doing.