John S., List:

I changed the subject heading, since we are still not actually discussing
EGs and Phaneroscopy.

JFS:  But "Bob owns a red car" could be separated in four ways: (1) "Bob /
owns a red car."  (2) "A red car / is owned by Bob." (3) "A car owned by
Bob / is red."  (4) "A car / is red and is owned by Bob."

You left out a fifth way--"Bob, owning, car, redness / _____ is in the
dyadic relation of _____ to a _____ that possesses the character of _____."

JFS:  Therefore, the set of subjects is disjoint from the set of predicates.

My point was that non-continuous predicates, such as "owns/owning" and
"red/redness," can be analyzed *either *as predicates *or *as subjects.

JFS:  The predicate "is a car owned by Bob" can be true or false *of*
something only when it is linked to a subject, for example, "That Chevy /
is a car owned by Bob."

We can also analyze that "predicate" as four Subjects (something, car,
owning, Bob) "married" by two Continuous Predicates--"_____ is identical to
a _____ that is in the dyadic relation of _____ to _____."

JFS:  The "proper way" on p. 885 would replace the verb 'breathes' in the
sentence "Every mammal breathes oxygen" with the verb 'is' in "Every mammal
is an oxygen-breathing animal."

No, we have been over this already.  The "proper way" is Peircean, not
Aristotelian, and analyzes that sentence as "Every mammal is in the dyadic
relation of breathing to oxygen."  There is no need to insert the word
"animal."

JFS:  Yes, but that is continuity of *pure* predicates, not of predicates
that refer to content in the universe of discourse.

In Peirce's "proper" or "ultimate" analysis of Propositions, "pure"
predicates are the *only *predicates.  *Anything* that refers to content in
the universe of discourse--i.e., anything that can only be understood by an
interpreting Quasi-mind that has had previous Collateral Experience with
it--is a *Subject*; it belongs to the *Object *of the Proposition.  The
only information that a Proposition can *convey*, which therefore belongs
to its *Interpretant*, is the logical form of the relation that "marries"
all of the referenced Subjects.  In order to understand "Bob owns a red
car," I need Collateral Experience with not only Bob and cars, but also
owning and redness.  In order to understand "Every mammal breathes oxygen,"
I need Collateral Experience with not only mammals and oxygen, but also
breathing.

JFS:  In CP 4.538, Peirce said that the triad rheme/dicisign/argument would
have to be widened to cover those image-like things.  His earlier
definition of quasi-predicate would cover those aspects. Therefore, the
widened term 'seme' includes both 'predicate' and 'quasi-predicate'.  But
no logical subject could ever be a seme.

That is *not *what the text says *at all*.  The trichotomy that had to be
"much widened" was term/proposition/argument; "rheme" and "dicisign" are
not mentioned, and as I have pointed out repeatedly, "quasi-predicate" *never
*appears in *any *of Peirce's writings, other than its one occurrence in
1903.  The definition of "Seme" is "anything which serves for any purpose
as a substitute for an object of which it is, in some sense, a
representative or Sign," which clearly encompasses *all *logical subjects.

JAS:  The additional step that I am taking is to recognize...
JFS:  If Peirce did not explicitly take that step, don't put words in his
mouth.

But I *did not* put words in his mouth; I said quite plainly that I was
taking an additional step.

JAS:  Bellucci cites another passage where Peirce clearly endorsed...
JFS:  If he didn't explicitly say something that seems "clear" or
"obvious", he probably had some reason for not doing so.

But he *did* explicitly say something in this case--three times!

CSP:  I regard everything to which the assertion relates and to which
reference can be removed from the predicate, although what is referred to
be a quality, relation, state of things, etc. as a Subject. (R 611)

CSP:  But the proper way in logic is to take as the subject whatever there
is of which sufficient knowledge cannot be conveyed in the proposition
itself, but collateral experience on the part of its interpreter is
requisite ... The result is that everything in a proposition that possibly
can should be thrown into the subjects, leaving the *pure *predicate a mere
form of connection ... (NEM 3:885)

CSP:  When we have analyzed a proposition so as to throw into the subject
everything that can be removed from the predicate, all that it remains for
the predicate to represent is the form of connection between the different
subjects as expressed in the propositional *form* ... when we have carried
analysis so far as to leave only a continuous predicate, we have carried it
to its ultimate elements. (SS 71-72)

I already acknowledged that the EGs reflect his earlier analysis, and that
maintaining such an approach makes perfect sense when using EGs to teach
first-order predicate logic today.  I have a *different *purpose in mind,
for which his "proper" and "ultimate" analysis is more suitable.

JAS:  Perhaps what you mean is that CSP's logic was a logic of Subjects, as
I am now employing that (capitalized) term ...
JFS:  That conclusion is not just imprecise.  It's false.  Peirce never did
and never would say that EGs are "a logic of subjects'.

In context, I was directly responding to the assertion that Peirce's logic
was a "logic of proper names"; and all I mean by a "logic of Subjects" is
what Peirce described to Jourdain as "the proper way in logic."  He
apparently never discussed how to interpret EGs in accordance with that
analysis, which is why I am taking a stab at doing so myself.

JFS:  It's impossible to have a logic without *both* subjects and
predicates.  And predicates that refer to content are never "pure".

Of course; but again, according to Peirce, "the proper way in logic" is to
treat *anything *that refers to content as a Subject, not a predicate.