Gary, list,
I am just beginning to get acquainted to the graphs. So far I think, that the sheet of assertion means to symbolize a universe with clear true/false rules. But what, if every subject (at least, if the subjects are organisms) has its own universe (speaking with Uexküll and the constructivists)? Speaking of music, one subject likes gangsta rap and Wagner, and the other subject finds both disgusting. So i was thinking, what if we just reverse the inner/outer- direction of the graphs, and say, that the inside of the smallest circle is the subjective universe, and what is outside is excluded from it? The sheet of assertion still is the universe of efficient cause, and the inner circles are the subjective universes of needs and volitions.
I think, this way it is possible to elaborate gamma-graphs with special cuts-symbols like interrupted lines and so on (unidirectional, semipermeable membranes, things like in cells, like endoplasmatic reticulum, tunnels and pumps...), a whole graphic art system. Just dreaming.
Best, Helmut

 13. Februar 2019 um 21:23 Uhr
 "Gary Richmond" <gary.richm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Jon, John, list,

Jon, this post is quite helpful in clarifying what you've recently been arguing, perhaps especially "that "according to Peirce, 'the proper way in logic" is to treat anything that refers to content as a Subject, not a predicate.' " It seems likely that what you've written so far will need further support to be convincing to many. After all, you're arguing for an interpretation just the opposite of the standard one, an analysis which Peirce himself also argued for (as you've admitted). I expect that it will be an uphill battle, but one worth undertaking.

In addition, your post seems to me to help prepare the way for a discussion of logic and EGs in relation to phenomenology. However, I hope that that discussion doesn't begin in earnest too soon as both Gary F and I (and perhaps others) haven't yet completed Atkins book on Phenomenology.
Personally, while I have a great deal of interest in Phenomenology, I haven't as much interest in EGs as some on the list, notably, John, Gary F, Jeff, and yourself and some others have, in part, because of what Peirce says in the 1908 letter to Lady Welby which Gary F recently shared a link to:

The system of Existential Graphs (at least, so far as it is at present developed) does not represent every kind of Sign. For example, a piece of concerted music is a sign; for it is a medium for the conveyance of Form. But I know not how to make a graph equivalent to it. So the command of a military officer to his men: “Halt!” “Ground arms!” which is interpreted in their action, is a sign beyond the competence of existential graphs. All that existential graphs can represent is propositions, on a single sheet, and arguments on a succession of sheets, presented in temporal succession.

So, for example, John's recent EG'd musical notation example, besides being unwieldy and inelegant, was not at all convincing to me because it left so much out that is essential in music, say, of the Romantic era (e.g. dynamics, expressive marks, changes in tempo such as ritardando and accelerando, phrasing, the 'voicing' of the counterpoint, etc., etc., etc.), and this in consideration of the Sign which is a simple musical composition's notation only. It's possible that some of the things just mentioned could be included in the graph, but most likely that would add to the awkwardness and inelegance of it.

So, imho, EGs being isomorphic to first-order logic in their beta part, they ought direct themselves towards what first-order logic can best express in its graphic form. As you know, the gamma part has not been much developed and may never be. Finally, while I'm eager to read what Atkins has to say about EGs in relation to Phenomenology, at the moment I have difficulty imagining that they might be of very much value to that science except in explicating its discoveries logically, clearly and unequivocally. But I continue to study EGs time permitting, and hope to benefit from the upcoming discussion of them in relation to Phenomenology.

Your post today seems to me modest in its claims, but supported strongly by CSP quotes; also in consideration of their chronology and the frequency of certain terminology. Yet it also makes clear that you are only making a 'stab' at something which Peirce had not completed, and this is the "additional step" which you are taking. So far, I find your exposition of Peirce's mature logic to be clear and increasingly convincing. And I am finding your dialogue with John especially helpful.

Best,

Gary R

Gary Richmond
Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York