Auke - thanks for the paper - and I see that you are setting up an
infrastructure for the analysis of a real situation in the real world
- using some facets of the Peircean framework. That is exactly what I
am talking about! The pragmatic function of Peircean semiosis. I
admit that I still find the outline developed [Sarbo's outline]
difficult to comprehend but the fact that it is capable of not only
examining the actual world but in also coming up with solutions to
real problems - is excellent.

        Edwiina
 On Mon 18/02/19  4:51 AM , "Auke van Breemen" a.bree...@chello.nl
sent:
        Edwina,
        You asked for an application to real world problems of the
“endless lists and outlines of terminology and rigid definitions of
these terms”
        Here
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/978-3-642-55355-4_3.pdf
[1] is an example.

        Fig. 3 is fig. 2 emptied of technical terms. One of the biggest
obstacles proved to be to find a way to communicate the model with
the participants of the meetings.

        Fig. 5 is placed in its diagrammatic context if you project the
ternary plots on fig. 3.

        Since in this research I had to deal with responsible agents I
decided to devote the bottom plot to esthetics, the left and right to
state sign and effect sign respectively and the top one to the morals
that ruled the interaction. Note that by taking the Welby
correspondence serious, this diagram can be improved by adding
several plots, since now at the most we have 7 plots while 10
relations are distinguished.
        The Peircean theoretical background for this approach is about 60
pages (terminology, secondary literature), so I will not try to
summarize that, it probably only would lead to misunderstandings.
        Just one remark in response to your insistence on explanation. In
negotiation cases like this the stakeholders have two meetings. In
the first they are asked to score the plot and deliver an explanation
for the score. Each explanation is the immediate object of one of the
stakeholders of the dynamical object, in this case a pupil. Now, as a
rule in situations of serious conflict, the immediate objects will be
influenced by the goal of the stake holder, so it is not to be
expected that in all cases consensus will be reached as to the
background of the situation.

        So, in a second meeting in disagreement cases the focus is shifted
from what do you think the causes are for the situation to “Where
do we want to get our mutual scores in the future?” It proves to be
the case that in almost all cases although disagreement about the
causes keeps existing, about the solution agreement can be reached.
Different and contradictory explanations can go together with a plan
for action that delivers a solution.
        Best,
        Auke van Breemen