John, List:

Not surprisingly, I agree completely with Francesco, but I still want to
address a number of specific points for the record.

JFS:  Claim #1:  He later rejected that term [quasi-predicate] because he
changed his mind.  He decided that 'Seme' should be defined as "subject or
predicate" or even just the single word 'subject'.

I never claimed that Peirce "changed his mind" about "quasi-predicate."
Instead, I consistently pointed out that he used it *exactly once* (CP
2.320; 1903), but used "Seme" in *every *known taxonomy of Sign classes on
or after August 31, 1906, crossing out "Rheme" in that particular one.  I
also noted that his definition of "Seme" was extremely broad, such that
there is absolutely no warrant from his writings to confine it to
predicates and quasi-predicates.

JFS:  Whenever Peirce changed his mind on any point, he would usually
discuss specific reasons for the change.  But he never said that the word
'quasi-predicate' was inappropriate.

He *did* discuss the specific reason for introducing "Seme"--the familiar
word "Term" had to be "much widened."  If he had thought that "Rheme" was
still adequate, he would have used it rather than inventing a new word, in
accordance with his ethics of terminology.  He indeed never said that
"quasi-predicate" was inappropriate--because he said *nothing at all* about
it before or after 1903.

JFS:  In every occurrence of the word 'Seme', it's possible to replace
'Seme' with the phrase "predicate or quasi-predicate" without any change in
meaning.

That depends on how one *defines *"predicate or quasi-predicate."  After
all, the *subject *of a sentence is a Seme--Peirce said so in R 295, as
Francesco and I have both pointed out--but it is (by definition) *not *a
predicate.  If "Term" is wide enough to encompass both subjects and
predicates, and "Seme" is wider than "Term," then "Seme" obviously
encompasses both subjects and predicates.  As for "quasi-predicate," it is
evidently not even wide enough to encompass "quasi-subject," since the *only
*time that Peirce ever used *either *of these was in *the very same
sentence* to name *different parts* of a Dicisign.

JFS:  Claim #1 introduces a triad that Peirce never mentioned or implied in
any MS:  Subject, Proposition, Argument.

I tried out Subject/Proposition/Argument for a while, but *abandoned *it
almost two weeks ago, stating plainly that "neither 'Subject' nor
'Predicate' (nor 'Quasi-predicate') will work as the 'much widened'
replacement for 'Term' or 'Rheme,' since it has to encompass *both* of
them."  I have been consistently using Seme/Proposition/Argument ever
since; as I have explained before, Peirce acknowledged that "Delome" is
synonymous with "Argument," and elsewhere (EP 2:312; 1904) described
propositions in a way that is consistent with Phemes as "Interrogative,
Imperative, or Assertory" (CP 4.538; 1906).

JFS:  Claim #2 uses Peirce's own words in combinations that he himself
wrote.

Please provide a specific citation or quote where he *ever *gave
predicate/proposition/argument or quasi-predicate/proposition/argument as
the division of Signs according to the relation with the Final Interpretant
or the Nature of the Influence.

JFS:  But a subject always maps to a predicate plus a line of identity in
EGs (or an equivalent variable in algebraic notations).

I addressed this already.  A Spot plus a Line of Identity is a *proposition*,
and a proposition *always *has two parts--subject and predicate, what
it *denotes
*and what it *signifies*.  In algebraic notations, the variable is the
subject, so it *cannot *be a predicate; likewise for the selective in
standard predicate logic.

JFS:  More precisely, a predicate that has content may be converted to a
continuous predicate, a line of identity, and another predicate that has a
content that is derived from the content of the first one.

That is just just a *different *(and less ultimate) analysis, and it still
results in a *proposition*, which means that there *must *be a subject
(non-predicate) of some kind.  If we instead follow Peirce's late 1908
advice and throw *everything possible* into the subject--i.e., whatever
requires Collateral Experience on the part of the interpreter in order to
be understood--then a predicate *never *has content.  There is *only *the
continuous predicate, which is all that the proposition *itself* can
convey; namely, the logical form of relation that "marries" its subjects
(constituent Semes).

JFS:  As a synonym for "predicate or quasi-predicate", the word 'Seme'
refers to more objects than the word 'predicate' by itself.

Please answer the question that I have been posing over and over as my
response to this kind of claim.  *If Peirce considered "Seme" to be
synonymous with "predicate" or "quasi-predicate," then why did he blatantly
violate his own ethics of terminology by introducing it?*

JAS:  He needed a word encompassing not only "term," "predicate," and
"quasi-predicate," but also "indexical," "selective," "subject,"
"quasi-subject," and any other Sign that is not a Proposition or an
Argument.

JFS:  There is such a word.  It's 'sign'.  If you want to classify the many
kinds of signs, see Peirce's 10 classes of signs.

The topic here is a *specific class* of Signs--the counterpart of
Proposition (or Pheme) and Argument (or Delome) when a Sign is a Possible,
rather than an Existent or a Necessitant.  Again, Peirce called it a "Seme"
in *every known taxonomy* that he drew up after introducing that word.
He *never
once* called it a "predicate" or a "quasi-predicate."

JFS:  In every note in this thread, I have refuted every proposed claim for
#1 and every proposed argument against #2.  That is overwhelming evidence
against #1 and for #2

Why employ such desperate and over-the-top rhetoric?  We have each
presented our cases (repeatedly), and everyone else can make up their own
minds (or tune us out by now).