Supplement: But I still have the following suspicion:
To involve means to contain, the noun is involvement, and not involution, which I suspect to be a creationist antithesis to evolution. So, if a sign involves the triadic relation, it "is" it in the sense of adjective, like to say a flower is blue, which does not mean blue is a flower (not identity).
To say that a sign is merely a "thing", but not a relaition or function, implies, that a thing is not a relation or function. But that is not so. A thing is only a thing through its function, there is no thing-in-itself. A thing consists (composition) of matter, form, and function.
Jon, list,

Ok then, I guess, to "involve" does not mean to "contain" in the sense of composition, as I had thought.

Best regards,
Helmut

16. April 2019 um 23:05 Uhr
"Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>

Helmut, List:

On the contrary, the first quote below does not corroborate the view that the Sign itself is a triad; i.e., a triadic relation--especially once we examine the entire passage.

CSP:  Conversely, every thought proper involves the idea of a triadic relation.  For every thought proper involves the idea of a sign.  Now a sign is a thing related to an object and determining in the interpreter an interpreting sign of the same object.  It involves the relation between sign, interpreting sign, and object. (R 462:40[74]; 1903)

In other words, every thought proper involves the idea of a triadic relation between sign, interpreting sign, and object.  The sign itself is a thing, a correlate of that relation, not the relation itself.  As Gary R. and I have both pointed out, Peirce explicitly called it a medium of communication, not the relation of mediating or communicating.