Jon S, Gary F, John S, List,

Let me offer a brief response to the objection Jon S. raised earlier.

JD:  I take the expression of the conditional (i.e., expressed in the EGs by a
scroll)  to involve a genuinely triadic relation because there is a law that
governs the relation.

Jon S:  What is the warrant for taking every relation that is governed by a law
to be genuinely triadic on that sole basis?  On the contrary, most (if not all)
dyadic relations that we encounter in experience are governed by laws in some
way, but we still classify them as dyadic because they have exactly two
correlates; the law itself is not a third correlate.

CSP:  Any dynamic action--say, the attraction by one particle of another--is in
itself dyadic. It is governed by a law; but that law no more furnishes a
correlate to the relation than the vote of a legislator which insures a bill's
becoming a statute makes him a participator in the blow of the swordsman who,
in obedience to the warrant issued after conviction according to that statute,
strikes off the head of a condemned man. (CP 6.330; 1908)

Jon S: Even a degenerate dyadic relation is governed by a law; e.g., the
hardness of a diamond consists in the truth of the conditional proposition that
if it were to be rubbed with another substance, it would resist scratching.
Are there any passages in Peirce's writings where he characterized a relation
with exactly two correlates as triadic?

Jeff D:  Most of the relations that we encounter in experience are rich and
complex. Consider the experience of one billiard ball A colliding with another
B in accordance with the law of inertia LI. We can abstract from the law of
inertia and attend solely to the dynamical relation between A and B as existing
individuals. There is a fact about each. A is in motion, and then it collides
with B, which was stationary. As a result, B moves. That can be treated as a
dynamical dyadic relation that is formally ordered such that A is agent and B
is patient. Considered in this way, we treat the dyadic relation between them
as a mere matter of brute force.

Alternately, we can consider the relation between the fact that A was moving
and B was stationary, and then the later fact that B was put into motion as a
result of the collision as being governed by the law of inertia (LI). According
to Peirce's classification of relations in "The Logic of Mathematics,...), this
is a genuinely triadic relation of fact. All such genuinely triadic relations
of fact are governed by some kind of law. On my interpretation of the text, the
law of inertia functions as the third correlate in the triadic relation. We can
analyze the relation in a number of ways, here is a simple version:  A
determines B to accelerate in accord with LI.

A fuller analysis would involve a closer look at LI.  Newton's account of this
law takes the following form:  Force of inertia=mass*acceleration. How does the
law of inertia govern the relations between the facts concerning A and B? The
first fact attributes qualities to each (i.e., each billiard ball has a
position at the first time, such that A is in motion heading towards the other
ball and B is not in motion). The second fact attributes a different set of
qualities to each. The law governs the changes in those facts so that there is
a general regularity that governs other possible interactions between any
masses of this type.

Notice what Peirce says about inertia as a dynamical law insofar as it is
explained by Newton in his theory of physics:

As to the common aversion to recognizing thought as an active factor in the
real world, some of its causes are easily traced. In the first place, people
are persuaded that everything that happens in the material universe is a motion
completely determined by inviolable laws of dynamics; and that, they think,
leaves no room for any other influence. But the laws of dynamics stand on quite
a different footing from the laws of gravitation, elasticity, electricity, and
the like. The laws of dynamics are very much like logical principles, if they
are not precisely that. They only say how bodies will move after you have said
what the forces are. They permit any forces, and therefore any motions. Only,
the principle of the conservation of energy requires us to explain certain
kinds of motions by special hypotheses about molecules and the like. Thus, in
order that the viscosity of gases should not disobey that law we have to
suppose that gases have a certain molecular constitution. Setting dynamical
laws to one side, then, as hardly being positive laws, but rather mere formal
principles, we have only the laws of gravitation, elasticity, electricity, and
chemistry. Now who will deliberately say that our knowledge of these laws is
sufficient to make us reasonably confident that they are absolutely eternal and
immutable, and that they escape the great law of evolution?

The main difference that I see between the law of inertia and the law of
gravity is that, on Peirce's account, the former is governed by (if you will) a
logical law of deductive demonstration. As such, the law is taken to be
unchanging in its form.

The law of gravity, on the other hand, might very well continue to evolve. For
instance, gravitational "constant" in Newton's version of the law might be
evolving. Furthermore, it's being an inverse square law and not an inverse of a
2.1 power might not be fixed. Rather, the inverse power relation (as a function
of distance) might be evolving.

The fundamental law governing the evolution of the law of gravity is, on
Peirce's account, the one law of mind. On my reading of this text, we can
understand that law to be an objective manifestation of the one law of logic.
In this case, the third clause that is governing the law of gravity is not one
of deductive demonstration. Rather, it is one that brings abductive and
inductive patterns of inference to bear on the ongoing formation of the spatial
and temporal habits in their relations to the distribution of mass both locally
and globally (e.g., understood in terms of the paths that are possible through
a given space).

There appears to be a difference between the operation of these laws. The law
of inertia is, at this point in the history of the universe, relatively static
and dead. For the most part, it operates in an efficient, mechanical, linear,
conservative manner. The law of gravity, on the other hand, continues to
evolve. As a law, it appears to have some sort of life.

Is the claim that the law of inertia seems to govern the motions of masses in a
manner that is akin to a form of logical demonstration, while the law of
gravity seems to govern the relations between space and mass in a manner that
is akin to a form of logical abduction and/or induction testable as a
hypothesis? My hunch is that it is a testable hypothesis.

Yours,

Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
Northern Arizona University
(o) 928 523-8354

________________________________
JD:  I take the expression of the conditional to involve a genuinely triadic
[...]

JD:  I take the EGs to be topological in character. As a formal system, they
are based on the notion of relations of composition and transformation that
hold between areas on a sheet of assertion that is, itself, continuous. Various
discontinuities are introduced onto the sheet to represent what is existing and
discrete as individuals, but the continuity of this type of logical system is
central and not peripheral.

EGs represent the relations of (ter)coexistence and (ter)identity as
continuous--we can always add another Graph to the Sheet of Assertion, and we
can always add another branch to any Line of Identity--but they do not
represent the process of semeiosis as continuous.  Instead, they represent a
hypothetical instantaneous state of an Argument, and the transformation to a
subsequent state is always by means of discrete steps.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 10:22 PM Jeffrey Brian Downard