Jeff, List:

JD:  On my interpretation of the text, the law of inertia functions as the
third correlate in the triadic relation.

Are there any passages in Peirce's writings where he *explicitly *presents
a triadic relation that has a law as one of its correlates?

JD:  We can analyze the relation in a number of ways, here is a simple
version:  A determines B to accelerate in accord with LI.

How would you diagram this as an Existential Graph?

JD:  A fuller analysis would involve a closer look at LI.  Newton's account
of this law takes the following form:  Force of inertia=mass*acceleration.

A mathematical equation is a diagram of a *hypothetical *state of things.
We effectively *define *force and mass in accordance with this equation,
which is why it includes no arbitrary constants.  The equation for the
force due to gravity *requires *such a constant in order to make it *compatible
*with this one, and the *value *of that constant must be determined
*empirically*.  It seems to me that *this *is why the one "is taken to be
unchanging in its form," while the other "might be evolving"; we have to
keep checking the calculations to confirm that the constant is *really *
constant.