Gary F., List:

JAS:  If even a Percept is a Seme (Sign) that Retroductively produces a
Perceptual Judgment, which is a Proposition (Sign), how can we
gain acquaintance with *anything *in a way that is *not *entirely mediated
by Signs?

GF:  If we can’t, then there is no such thing as direct, unmediated
experience of *anything*. Would you really want to make that assertion?

I quite intentionally asked a question, rather than making an assertion.
If all thought is *in *Signs, then would not all *cognitive *experience
have to be *mediated *by Signs?  Peirce distinguished knowledge/experience
as *direct *vs. *indirect*, not *unmediated *vs. *mediated*; I am wondering
if this simply corresponds to knowledge/experience obtained from Percepts
as Signs determined (directly) *by *their Objects vs. Signs uttered
(indirectly) *about *their Objects.  Again, the Perceptual Judgments that
result from Percepts are Retroductive in nature, and the key difference
from ordinary Retroductions is that they are not *deliberately *adopted;
they share the *compulsive *nature of the Percepts themselves.

GF:  It would seem to entail that there are no *real relations* as opposed
to *relations of reason*:

No, it only entails exactly what Peirce stated in the passage that you went
on to quote (EP 2:382-383; 1906)--that we cannot veritably *describe *a
real relation to someone who has had no *direct *(i.e., perceptual)
experience of it.  That is presumably why he typically relied on common
examples of such experiences that were likely to be *familiar *to his
readers--e.g., pushing on a door--to explain what he meant by 2ns.

GF:  As you said yourself, “Peirce required *direct *experience for *all *
knowledge."

Yes, and every *uttered *Sign must be *embodied *in a Token--an Instance of
a Type that we can *recognize *within a particular Sign System with which
we are *already *acquainted--and then *perceived *by us before we can
interpret it *as a Sign*.  In that sense, even *indirect *knowledge/experience
(through Signs) requires *direct *knowledge/experience (of their Tokens).

GF:  I think proper names are represented in EGs, if at all, by *Selectives*.
Spots represent *rhemes*, i.e. predicates, which are always general, unlike
the Selectives, which ‘name’ lines of identity when they need to be
distinguished from other lines.

No, Peirce ultimately *abandoned *Selectives because they violated all
three of his purposes for EGs--they are *not *simple, *not *analytic, and
(especially) *not *iconic (cf. CP 4.561n; 1908).  Moreover, a
*discrete *predicate
as represented by a Spot can always be analyzed into a subject (label) and
a *continuous *predicate (Pegs).  The EGs for "Cain killed Abel" and
"Brutus killed Caesar" have monadic Spots for the proper names, not
Selectives, presumably because the *Object *of any proper name as a subject
of a Proposition is always *general *to some degree--i.e., not
*absolutely *determinate
(e.g., Phillip drunk vs. sober).

GF:  Finally, Jon, your closing sentence quotes Peirce’s own statement of
what I’ve been saying all along, that the ultimate *meaning *of religious
concepts consists not in their conveying theoretical knowledge of an
external Object but in their influence on the conduct of their interpreters:

You seem to be drawing a distinction here that Peirce did not--according
the maxim of pragmaticism, the ultimate meaning of *any *concept, religious
or otherwise, *including *theoretical knowledge of an external Object,
consists in its influence on the conduct of its interpreters.  Do you
disagree?