Jeff, List:

CSP:  But in order that anything should be a Sign, it must "represent," as
we say, something else, called its *Object*, although the condition that a
Sign must be other than its Object is perhaps arbitrary, since, if we
insist upon it we must at least make an exception in the case of a Sign
that is a part of a Sign. (CP 2.230; 1910)

I am having trouble seeing the relevance of this quote for either the
continuity of semeiosis or the ongoing discussion of my Semeiotic
Argumentation for the Reality of God, since Peirce's emphasis on the
non-immanence of the latter rules out the possibility that the entire
Universe as a Sign is a part of another Sign.

JD:  In this case, it is the crucifix and not the pen that is serving as
the object of the proposition. How is that object also functioning as a
sign (of itself)?

I have acknowledged repeatedly that anything is a Sign of itself in a *trivial
*sense, but it is not in the relation of *representing *unless it stands
for something *other than* itself.

JD:  This example suggests that the relations that are represented as
holding between subjects in a proposition are, themselves, also the objects
of the proposition.

I disagree with this analysis.  "Cain," "Abel," and "killing" are the
subjects of the Proposition, which therefore denote its Objects (or "one
complex Object").  The relation between them corresponds to the continuous
predicate, "_____ stands in the relation of _____ to _____," which
therefore signifies the Proposition's Interpretant.  In fact, this is
precisely the example that Peirce gave elsewhere of a sentence in which the
continuous predicate is expressed entirely by *syntax*.