John, List:

JFS:  But nothing in that argument that depends on the nature of the
creator as benign or malevolent, perfect or imperfect, necessary or
contingent.

I have not claimed otherwise, except to quote Peirce himself as stating
explicitly that God is *Ens necessarium* ("A Neglected Argument") and
possesses the attribute of Infinite Benignity (manuscript drafts).

JFS:  You quoted Peirce, but you claim that the argument is unavoidable.

No, I do not.  For the third time, what I have said is that my Semeiotic
Argumentation provides what *seems to me* to be the unavoidable *answer *to
the question, "If the entire Universe is a Sign, then what is its Object?"

JFS:  The absence of any hint in any of his MSS raises a serious doubt that
Peirce would approve the reasoning that led to that argument.

As Peirce himself surely would have recognized, this is an argument from
silence, which is not logically valid.  He never claimed to have
worked out *all
*of the ramifications of his own thought during his lifetime; on the
contrary, he said more than once that he was *counting *on future
generations to *continue *the work that he had started, especially in
Semeiotic.

JFS:  Ideally, that would require a translation of each premise and every
step of the reasoning to existential graphs and an application of the EG
rules of inference.

I thought that it was obvious that the *form *of my Semeiotic Argumentation
is *identical *to Peirce's simple example of reasoning with EGs in his
letter to Mr. Kehler (NEM 3:168-169; 1911 June 22), where S = the entire
Universe, M = a Sign, and P = determined by an Object other than itself.

JFS:  1. The claim that the object of every sign must be in a different
universe of discourse than the physical sign of that object ...
I'll accept the point that the object of a sign must be different from the
sign itself.

I have never made the first claim, only the second--that the Object of
every Sign is *external *to, *independent *of, and *unaffected *by the Sign
*itself*, as Peirce himself *explicitly *stated.

JFS:  2. The claim the Creator (God, Satan, or some demiurge) cannot be in
the same universe as the creation.
 3. The claim that Peirce's three universes (Possibility, Actuality, and
Necessity) are insufficient as a home for the Creator.

The relevant claim is rather that the Creator of the three Universes of
Experience and "every content of them without exception" cannot be *within *any
or all of those Universes; i.e., God is "*not *immanent in" them, as Peirce
explicitly stated.

JFS:  I forgot to mention that I had uploaded some of Peirce's definitions
to http://jfsowa.com/peirce/defs/  See sign1.jpg and sign2.jpg .

Thank you for the link; I agree that all of those 1890s definitions apply
only to Sinsigns/Tokens, presumably because Peirce did not recognize the
reality of Qualisigns/Tones and Legisigns/Types until 1903.

JFS:  CSP, Century Dictionary for 'universe'--1. The totality of all
existing things; all that is in dynamical connection with general
experience taken collectively--embracing (a} the Creator and creation; or
(b) psychical and material objects, but excluding the Creator; or (c)
material objects only.

When I refer to "the entire Universe" in my Semeiotic Argumentation, I mean
all three Universes of Experience taken together; i.e., what Peirce *himself
*called "the entire universe--not merely the universe of existents, but all
that wider universe, embracing the universe of existents as a part, the
universe which we are all accustomed to refer to as 'the truth'" (CP
5.448n, EP 2:394; 1906).  That means sense (b) above plus the first
Universe of Ideas/Possibles, assuming that we can take "material objects"
to be the constituents of the second Universe of Actuality/Existents and
"psychical objects" to be the constituents of the third Universe of
Signs/Necessitants.