Gesendet: Sonntag, 12. April 2020 um 15:36 Uhr
Von: "Jon Awbrey" <jawb...@att.net>
An: "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>, "robert marty" <robert.mart...@gmail.com>, peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Betreff: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Categories and Speculative Grammar
Jon, All ...

Jon Alan Schmidt wrote:
> - Every proposition is *collective* and *copulative*; as I stated in a recent post
> < https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-03/msg00028.html >,
> its dynamical object is "the entire universe" (CP 5.448n, EP 2:394, 1906),
> which is "the totality of all real objects" (CP 5.152, EP 2:209, 1903),
> while its immediate object is "the logical universe of discourse"
> (CP 2.323, EP 2:283, 1903).

Thanks for calling attention to this point. I'm occupied with another train
of thought at the moment so I'll just stop to flag it for a later discussion.
Incidentally, or synchronistically, lack of care in distinguishing different
objects of the same signs, in particular, immediate and ultimate objects and
their corresponding universes or object domains, has been the source of many
misunderstandings in scattered discussions on Facebook of late.

Another issue arising here has to do with the difference between the
"dimension of a relation" and the "number of correlates". Signs may
have any number of correlates in the object domain without requiring
the dimension of the relevant sign relation to be greater than three.
This is one of the consequences of "triadic relation irreducibility".

Regards,

Jon

PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to peirce-L@list.iupui.edu . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to l...@list.iupui.edu with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .