}Priscila - I find your signtree model very interesting. I wonder if
you would explain - let's say - two of the sign classes - I'll
randomly pick # 5 and 44.

        I can understand your ten class diagram and I can see the nodal
sites for your 66 classes but I'm curious about the functions of
these expanded nodal sites. That is - I see Robert's point of a
'linear series of successive determinations' . Perhaps I'm not clear
about your model, but in the expanded model - for example, all the
nodal sites in, let's say, a rhematic iconic legisign- except for the
legisign in 3ns, the rest of the nodes are all in 1ns. Therefore - how
does the expansion 'develop' the full Sign? I see the same properties
in other signs...that is, does the expansion of nodes increase the
information capacity of the full Sign?

        Thanks in advance

        Edwina
 On Wed 29/04/20  8:08 PM , Priscila Borges primbor...@gmail.com
sent:
        Dear Helmut, Robert and list,

         I've been following this topic on the tree-structure trying to
understand why a tree-structure would not lead to 66 sign classes.

         Robert said:

         "If you put a tree structure on the ten trichotomies you can  say
probably goodbye to the 66 classes of signs which are coextensive
with a linear series of successive determinations."

         As you have seen, I've built a model for the system of 66 sign
classes  based on a tree structure. In that visual model, a tree
structure was  apllied to the set of 66 sign classes and not to each
sign class. That  is, to build the system, I adopted an order for the
trichotomies, as  Peirce did with the 3 tricotomies of the 10 sign
classes, and with the 6  tricothomies of the 28 sign classes.

         I do not undestand why should we not adopt a linear order for the
trichotomies. It seems to me that some order of determination between
 trichotomies is fundamental to reach the classes of signs.

         This is true for the 10 sign classes, which can only be reached if
we follow the [S] > [S-O] > [S-I] order.

         When Peirce proposes the 28 sign classes he says (SS 84; EP2:481,
1908):

         "It is evident that a Possible can determine nothing but a
Possible;  it is equally so that a Necessitant can be determined by
nothing but a  Necessitant. Hence it follows from the Definition of a
Sign that since  the Dynamoid Object determines the Immediate Object,
 which determines the Sign itself,
 which determines the Destinate Interpretant,
 which determines the Effective Interpretant,
 which determines the Explicit Interpretant,
 the six trichotomies, instead of determining 729 classes of signs,
as they would if they were independent, only yield 28 classes"

         In the 66 sign classes, there is a letter to L. Welby from December
24,  1908 (EP2:483-488), in which Peirce analyses the relation between
two  trichotomies [S] and [IO]. He says:

         "Before proceeding to the third trichotomy, let [us] inquire what
relations, if any, are found between the two that have been brought
to  light. What I mean precisely by between these relations is
whether or  not the three members of the first trichotomy, which we
may for the  moment denote as 11, 12, 13, are or are not independent
of the three  members of the second, which we may denote by 21, 22,
23; so that they  form nine classes, which if we use a dot to mean
"which is," will be  denoted by

        11-21           11-22            11-23 12-21           12-22
   12-23 13-21           13-22            13-23

         The inquiry ought, one would expect, to be an easy one, since both
trichotomies depend on there being three Modes of Presence to the
mind,  which we may term

         The Immediate,—The Direct,—The Familiar

         Mode of Presence.

         The difference between the two trichotomies is that the one refers
to  the Presence to the Mind of the Sign and the other to that of the
 Immediate Object. The Sign may have any Modality of Being, i.e. may
belong to any one of the three Universes; its Immediate Object must
be  in some sense, in which the Sign need not be, Internal." (Peirce,
1908, EP2:483-488).

         It is interesting that he begins the letter presenting the [S]

         "I. According to the mode of presentation of the sign itself

         Potisign  / Actisign / Famisign"

         and then he presents the [IO]

         "II. According to the mode of presentation of the immediate object

         Descriptive / Designative / Copulant"

         but his analyses on the relationship between these two tricotomies
shows  that the Immediate Object precedes the Sign and not the
contrary  (Peirce, 1908, EP2:483-488).

         The third trichotomy he presents in this letter is the [DO]

         "III. According to the nature of the dynamic object

         Abstractive / Concretive / Collective"

          And just after presenting it he says:

         I was of the opinion that if the Dynamical Object be a mere
Possible  the Immediate Object could only be of the same nature,
while if the  Immediate Object were a Tendency or Habit then the
Dynamical Object must  be of the same nature. Consequently an
Abstractive must be a Mark,  while a Type must be a Collective, which
shows how I conceived  Abstractives and Collectives." (Peirce, 1908,
EP2:489)

         If the DO is a mere possible, then the IO is a mere possible.

         If the IO is a tendency, then the DO is a tendency.

         And here he gives a hint at the order of the trichotomies between
the  [DO] and [IO]. If the Immediate Object is a tendency and if it
preceded  the Dynamical object, there would be no restriction for the
Dynamical  Object to be a tendency, it could be a possible, a fact, or
a tendency.

         It is the same as saying that all Qualisigns are Icons and all
Symbols are Legisigns.

         And this is due to the relationship between the universal
categories:

         “Firstness is the mode of being of that which is such as it is,
positively and without reference to anything else. Secondness is the
mode of being of that which is such as it is, with respect to a second
 but regardless of any third. Thirdness is the mode of being of that
which is such as it is, in bringing a second and third into relation
to  each other.” (CP 8.328 [1904])

         It is based on that that I said, as Robert quoted:
        "A relation of  dependence is established between the three
categories as follows:  firstness is independent of anything,
secondness depends on firstness,  and thirdness depends on secondness
and firstness."

         Robert, also, asked what is the parallelism that inspered the form
of a tree. Let me explain, then.

         When I created the Signtree visual model, I was inspired by some
drawings, specially the following one, which appears in SANDERS,
GARY.  Peirce's Sixty-six Signs , Charles S. Peirce Society,
Transactions, 6:1  (1970:Winter):
                (Sanders, 1970)
         Also, by Peirce's scheme for the degenerated categories (EP2: 162,
1903):
                EP2:162, 1903
         And some other drawings I found on Peirce's manuscripts such as:
 (MS 74, p. 02)
                (MS 137, p. 95, 1904)
 (MS 137, p. 117, 1904)
 (MS 278D4, p. 1086)
 (MS 278C, p. 501)
         All these structures seem to derive from the tripod being repeated
recursively, which results in a tree-structure. The affinity between
the  growth of the tree and the sign processes is quite obvious,
since each  bifurcation of a branch results in a triadic structure.
 (EP2:364)
         That's why I adopted the form of a tree to my visual model and
called it  Signtree. Because I believe the tree-structure applied to
the set of  sign classes evinces that they constitute an integrated
system. The sign  classes should not be understood as pidgeon-holes
to qualify signs.  Peirce defines semiotics as “the science of the
necessary laws of  thought” (Peirce c.1896: CP 1.444). Peirce’s
classes are not simply a  set of categories to qualify signs. They
express a logical process for  inquiry that makes clear the growth of
signs. And that is why I don't  represent the classes of signs in
boxes separeted one from the other.  Instead, I represent them as
bifurcating one from the other. This may  not be evident on
Peirce’s threefold classification system, because in  that case the
process has only three steps. It begins to appear in  Peirce’s
tenfold classification, which brings up a process in ten steps.
However, the growing process of the sign only becomes explicit in
Peirce’s extended system of sixty-six classes.
 (Signtree, 66 sign classes)
 (Signtree, 66 sign classes)
         The Signtree model can be used to express any type of class system
emphasizing characteristics that are not exclusive of the 66
classes’  system, but are essential to Peirce’s semiotics. I've
built visual  models as this one for all the systems of sign classes
and even proposed  one with 21 classes.
 (Signtree, 3 and 10 sign classes)
 (Signtree, 28 sign classes)
                (Signtree, 21 sign classes)
         These I published in The American Journal of Semiotics 31.3–4
(2015), 245–276. The paper is called "A System of 21 Classes of
Signs as  an Instrument of Inquiry", its aim is not only to deduce
the system of  21 classes, but also to allow the reader to understand
how each class  represents a step in a semiotic inquiry. With that in
mind, I also  provided an example of how to proceed with a semiotic
analysis using the  system of 21 classes.

         I have also published other papers where I apply the 66 sign
classes shown in the Signtree as an instrument of inquiry:
    *Borges, Priscila (2014). Experience and Cognition in Peirce’s
Semiotics. The American Journal of Semiotics 30.1–2, 1–26.
    *Borges, Priscila (2019). Confidence through the semiotic
process. Semiotica Journal 228. https://doi.org/10.1515/sem-2018-0083

    *Borges, Priscila (2020). A Complex System of Sign Classes for
complex Sign Systems. In JAPPY, Tony (ed.). Bloomsbury Companion to
Contemporary Peircean Semiotics. Bloomsbury Publishing.

Best,Priscila