Jon and Robert,
This issue illustrates an important point about
Peirce's development.  His ideas were constantly "growing"
(Peirce's own word), and he kept revising his terminology as he continued
to find new ways of relating his ideas to one another and to the common
vocabulary of his day (much of which he defined for the Century
Dictionary).

JAS> That passage is from R 1345, dated
c. 1896, and thus was written several  years prior to Peirce's much more
comprehensive classification of 1903. It seems to me that empirics became
phenomenology
Yes, but it does not contradict what he wrote in
1896.  Unless Peirce explicitly rejects something he wrote earlier, we
must consider it a valid aspect of his thought.  And we should try to
understand what differences, if any, there may be in the different choices
of words.
Instead of saying that empirics became phenomenology, it's
better to say that empirics, phenomenology, and phaneroscopy are three
related, but slightly different ways of talking about closely related
issues.

RM> I always thought that the most peircean of the
classifications of     sciences was this one :

*Mathematics* the study of ideal constructions without reference to their
real existence, Empirics, the study of phenomena with the purpose of
identifying their forms with those *mathematics* has studied, Pragmatics,
the study of how we ought to behave in the light of the truths of
empirics." (NEM, vol.IV, p. 1122)
This quotation is important
for understanding his 1903 classification.  It shows that the empirical
aspects of science require mathematics to interpret experiences in the
phaneron.
And the passage from 1896 should be compared with R602,
which Peirce wrote a few years after 1903.  In R602, Peirce goes back to
the issues about the role of mathematics.   (See
http://jfsowa.com/peirce/r602.htm )
A comparison of the 1896 version
with the later two shows the differences and the similarities between
Peirce's views and Hegel's.
Husserl, by the way, earned his PhD in
mathematics.  In his book on diagrammatology, Frederik Stjernfelt showed
many of the similarities between Peirce's phaneroscopy and Husserl's
version of phenomenology. I strongly recommend Stjernfelt's book for its
insights into the ways that two mathematicians addressed closely related
issues.