Gary R and Jon AS,
Peirce's ethics of terminology is important.
But he made an important distinction:  If an author's term is adopted and
used by other authors, then the person who coined that term has an
obligation to continue using it in the same sense in which it is being
used.  But if nobody else is using the term, the original author is free
to revise or replace it.
In the half century of his writings, the
meanings of many of his terms evolved, and he sometimes changed his
terminology without stating exactly how the new terms were related to the
old ones.  Since most of his MSS were not intended for publication, he was
under no obligation to preserve the terms.
CSP as quoted by JAS:
"a general agreement concerning the use of terms and of
notations,--not too rigid, yet prevailing with most of the co-workers in
regard to most of the symbols, to such a degree that there shall be some
small number of different systems of expression that have to be
mastered" (CP 2.220, EP 2:263).
GR> I couldn't agree more;
it is my view as well.
Yes, I would also agree.  But note the
qualifications:  (1) "prevailing with most of the co-workers",
and (2) "there shall be some small number of different systems of
expression that have to be mastered".
After 1903, when it
became obvious that Russell's terminology for logic was becoming more
widely used, he avoided some of the terms in his earlier publications, and
he adopted some of the terms that were becoming more widely
used.
When we're writing textual criticism of Peirce's writings,
it's essential to preserve the exact terms that occur in each quoted
passage.  But when we're writing for a 21st. audience, we're obligated to
consider what is  "prevailing with most of the
co-workers".
But there is much more to say about these
issues.