Jon,
When Peirce called a theory 'fallible, he did not mean
"free to make adjustments".  There is a huge difference between
"free to apply to new areas" and "free to adjust (i.e.
change) the theory itself"',  The first (new applications) is
"normal science" in Kuhn's terms.  But the second is a
"paradigm shift" caused by some serious error in the foundations
of the theory.
JAS> I agree that
the conclusions of semeiotic are "eminently fallible," as Peirce
himself described them.  That is why we are not locked into treating his
speculative
 grammar as rigid dogma but are free to make adjustments that we deem
appropriate in accordance with the results of our own investigations.
We simply need to be clear about those deviations and acknowledge that
they are deviations,

Question:  What flaws, errors, or discrepancies have you found in
Peirce's semeiotic?
If you found some areas that Peirce did not
cover, then doing further research to cover those areas is "normal
science".  That would require new data about aspects that Peirce did
not address in his writings.
But changing the theory (even
"adjustments") is a very serious matter.  That would only be
justified if you found some serious contradictions that couldn't be
covered by "normal science" -- i.e., making new observations and
adding some methods for adapting Peirce's theories to the new
data.
What are your reasons for the adjustments?