Auke, list,

What is funny -- in the sense not of your 'hilarious', but of my 'strange'
-- is that well over a decade ago on this list I used the same
example, an "im[p]ression
of green the moment I look at the trees out of my window," (well, in truth,
my impression(s) occurred as one late Spring afternoon I lay on my back in
a bed of silky soft grass and moss and staring up at tree branches -- their
leaves in particular -- at a scenic spot on top of one of the foothills of
the Catskill Mountains of New York overlooking the Tappan Zee where the
Hudson River becomes as expansive as a 10 mile wide lake).

Rather intent on musing a bit, or even doing some phenomenology, I looked
up at the canopy where the rapidly passing clouds made the myriad leaves
look to be various shades of green, such as olive, lime, emerald, even sage
(which is almost gray), as well as deep yellow, a kind of brown and even a
dark purple nearing black. I thought (very short moments later) something
like "those considerable variations in color are *both* the consequence of
the play of light and clouds and sky and tree leaves in nature 'outside' of
me and *simultaneously* affecting me with 'internal' color impressions" --
again none of those hues and shades were named then, that is, *when *or*
as *experienced, but only in retrospect-- a kind of *double-sided nature*,
both 'there' in 'external' nature as well as within my 'internal'
experience of that nature.

But note: there were only *those*, perhaps hundreds or even thousands, of
possible (1ns) variations of color -- but, for example, *no* blues or pinks
whatsoever. I later thought that *just* those hues and shades (or at least
a, perhaps, rather large range of them) were *possible* for me  (*no*
possibility of, say, cerulean blue -- the color of a clear sky itself -- no
cerulean leaves!) nor perhaps for any person with a normal color sense
(i.e. not color blind, etc.) who might be looking up from such a spot.

I love dark chocolate (which, of course, also is never cerulean (not even
such a deep, dark blue as cobalt blue), but prefer Belgian rather than
Dutch bars of it, if you please, as I find the flavor of most fine Belgian
chocolate somewhat subtler than the Dutch variety (same with beer and
French fries and mayonnaise). :-)

Best,

Gary

   -

"Time is not a renewable resource." gnox

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
*Communication Studies*