Robert and Auke,
I agree with the points you made.  But I believe that a
good way to put an end to the "false debate" is to broaden the
dichotomy to an open-ended diversity.  Every branch of the sciences (i.e.,
every branch in Peirce's 1903 classification) has methods that are
specialized for the subject matter.   For that reason, I changed the
subject line to "Methodology" -- Methodeutic would be an
acceptable term, but Peirce's discussion of that term has too few examples
to support all the issues that need to be considered.
For example,
the methods for studying linguistics, archaeology, chemisty, astronomy,
and medicine are radically different.  But they do have a common
foundation:  observation, induction, abduction, deduction, testing, and
repeat.
Although the theorems of mathematics are determined by
deduction, mathematical discovery is just as empirical as any other
science.   For example,
Euler:  "The properties of the numbers
known today have been mostly discovered by observations... long before
their truth has been confirmed by rigid
demonstrations."
Laplace:  "Even in the mathematical
sciences, our principal instruments to discover the truth are induction
and analogy."
Paul Halmos:  "“Mathematics — this may
surprise or shock some — is never deductive in its creation. The
mathematician at work makes vague guesses, visualizes broad
generalizations, and jumps to unwarranted conclusions. He arranges and
rearranges his ideas, and becomes convinced of their truth long before he
can write down a logical proof... the deductive stage, writing the results
down, and writing its rigorous proof are relatively trivial once the real
insight arrives; it is more the draftsman’s work not the architect’s.”
*
* Halmos, Paul R. (1968) Mathematics as a creative art, _American
Scientist_, vol 56, pp. 375-389.
There is, of course, much more to
be said.