John and Auke

        I think Auke has made a key comment - which is not merely the method
of discussion and analysis, but the focus. As he noted, there can be
two areas to focus on:

        Area 1] Peirce's text can be read as inspiration for  semiotic
research. In this case semiosis is the dynamical object, or some
aspect of it

        Area 2]  But they  [Peirce's texts]  also can be used to decide
debates. In this case Peirce's presumed view on semiosis is the
dynamical object

        These are two very different areas of research - BOTH of which
legitimately rest within the framework of the Peircean corpus of
work.

        A problem, as I see it, is that this list is indifferent to the
first area - and indeed, some on the list seem to consider that such
interests are secondary areas of semiosis [setting up a notion of
purity vs impurity re Peirce]. . And the vigilante focus on what is
the correct interpretation of the Texts leads to emotional assertions
of 'correct' vs 'incorrect' [too many occurrences to offer as
examples].

        I wonder if the 'solution' is - and here we might bring in
Methodology-  but could the solution be the Market approach - which
accepts both areas and leaves the forum open to discussions by the
population  - with the Moderator remaining strictly neutral - ie, Let
the Market Decide - knowing that a Market is dynamic and never fully
conclusive.

         And, the population itself must acknowledge that the Market is open
to both areas. And the Method of Argumentation is not Who Grabs the
Consumer Fast and Most [ ie with the loudest voice and most prolific
goods from The Text] but is also highly sensitive to what is going on
in the rest of the world. This brings in Area 1- where research in
other fields which use the conceptual infrastructure of Peircean
semiosis [without the text!] can inform the textual analysis of Area
2.

        Edwina
 On Sun 17/05/20  8:13 AM , a.bree...@chello.nl sent:
        John,

        I agree with your broadening up the seeming dichotomy to an open
ended diversity. But I suggest to go all the way; also within a
science we find different angles on the same subjectmatter. Semiotics
not being excluded.

        But, I think there is a second current to be aware of in our
discussions. Peirce's text can be read as inspiration for  semiotic
research. In this case semiosis is the dynamical object, or some
aspect of it. But they also can be used to decide debates. In this
case Peirce's presumed view on semiosis is the dynamical object. This
dichotomy probably can be best looked at as a continuum on which each
of the listers score somewhere at some point in their dealing with
peircean semiotics (or Peirce's semiotics of course).

        Best,