Auke, List:

AvB:  I do not even need to read te second and third alinea of your post
... And to be frank I think it is better to leave your 'explanation' in the
2nd and 3th alinea undiscussed in all detail.

Okay, but those two paragraphs are quite relevant to my overall theory of
semeiosis and forthcoming analysis of an example for comparison with Robert
Marty's parable.

JAS:  The immediate interpretant is whatever a sign type *possibly could*
signify within the system of signs to which it belongs ...

AvB:  Do you claim this (within, etc) to be Peirce's addition?

As I have repeatedly stated, my speculative grammar is not *identical *to
Peirce's, but I believe that it is still recognizably *Peircean*.  In this
case, I have in mind the following passage.

CSP:  I do not mean by "collateral observation" acquaintance with the
system of signs. What is so gathered is *not *COLLATERAL. It is on the
contrary the prerequisite for getting any idea signified by the Sign. (CP
8.179, EP 2:494, 1909)

The immediate interpretant is "the interpretant as it is revealed in the
right understanding of the Sign itself, and is ordinarily called the *meaning
*of the sign" (CP 4.536, 1906).  For a term, this is simply its definition,
and someone who is not acquainted with the system of signs to which the
term belongs will be unable to get any idea signified by it.  Since
propositions and arguments *involve *terms, the same is true for those
classes of signs, as well.  Even knowledge of definitions may not be
adequate by itself to understand terms as they are being employed in a
particular context, something that I have personally experienced when
reading explanations in the peculiar lingo of mathematical category theory.

AvB:  How do you delineate this system for any given sign?

Since "there can be no isolated sign" (CP 4.551, 1906), every sign is part
of *some *system of signs.  The most obvious examples are human languages,
such as English and French.  One difference that I have with Peirce is that
I consider the written and spoken versions of the same language to be two
distinct systems of signs.  A type is "a definitely significant Form" (CP
4.537, 1906), and the form of the type "man" as written is very different
from the form of the type "man" as spoken, even though they are equivalent
in meaning and isomorphic in the sense that each written letter corresponds
to a certain spoken sound.  "Homme" is yet another type of the same sign,
although it presumably has slightly different connotations within French;
and in this case, the written form has three letters (h, extra m, e) that
have no spoken counterparts.

AvB:  The dynamical interpretant that eventually follows a sign, is this
one of the possibilities contained in the immediate interpretant, or can it
be altogether different?

Any *actual *interpretant is obviously a *possible *interpretant, but in my
view the immediate interpretant pertains to a general sign *type *while
each dynamical interpretant pertains to an individual sign *token*.  One
reason why misinterpretations happen is because a token can determine
someone to a dynamical interpretant that is *not *within the corresponding
type's immediate interpretant.  For example, if I say out loud in German,
"Hier ist ein Gift," the English translation is, "Here is a poison"; but an
English-speaker who does not know German might think that I am saying,
"Here is a gift."  The potentially deadly error is misidentifying the
system of signs to which the utterance belongs, and thus the type that the
token embodies.  The final interpretant of the proposition is the true
belief (habit of conduct) regarding what I am really holding, which
involves the correct association (habit of feeling) of "Gift" in German
with what "poison" means in English.

This is one reason why I find it problematic to claim that the immediate
interpretant *logically *determines the dynamical interpretant, even though
there is a sense in which the immediate interpretant of a type
*temporally *precedes
each dynamical interpretant of one of its tokens.  Moreover, systems of
signs are not static; they are constantly evolving, such that the forms
(e.g., spellings or pronunciations) and definitions of terms change over
time, with archaic ones dropping out and new ones being introduced.
Dictionary definitions tell us how each word (as a type) is being used (as
tokens) and understood (as dynamical interpretants) within a particular
system of signs at a particular time in history, so in *that *sense it
seems to be a collection of dynamical interpretants that *both *logically
determines and temporally precedes the immediate interpretant.

Regards,

Jon S.