Robert, Gary F., List:

I was intrigued by Robert's quote from CP 2.278 and wanted to take a look
at its context.  It turns out that this is one of those places where
unfortunately the arrangement of the material by the CP editors is highly
misleading.

   - 2.278-280 is from R 787 (c. 1895-6), "That Categorical and
   Hypothetical Propositions are one in essence, with some connected matters."
   - 2.274-277 and 2.283-284 are from R 478 (1903), the "Syllabus" for the
   Lowell Lectures.
   - 2.281 is from R 404 (1894), "The Art of Reasoning. Chapter II. What Is
   a Sign?"
   - 2.282 is from R 595 (1895), "Short Logic."

Although the notes indicate that 2.278-280 actually comes after 2.332-339
in R 787, they fail to mention that Peirce wrote four additional paragraphs
between them that are omitted, along with at least 15 pages prior to
2.332.  There are two more omitted paragraphs after 2.280, which are
followed by 1.564-567, then another omitted paragraph, and finally
2.340-356.  Two manuscript pages originally missing from R 787 turned up
later as R 787(s), and I was delighted to discover that they include an
interesting passage about "scientific intelligence" that Gary F. quoted in
a post <https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-05/msg00160.html> a
few weeks ago, citing NEM 4:ix-x where Carolyn Eisele attributes it to an
"unidentified fragment."   I am now preparing a complete transcription to
restore the original flow of the entire text of R 787 for further study,
but for now, here is the whole paragraph that concludes with 2.278.

CSP:  An idea is called up when an idea sufficiently like it is called up.
A representation of an idea is nothing but a sign that calls up another
idea. When one mind desires to communicate an idea to another, he embodies
his idea by making an outward perceptible image which directly calls up a
like idea; and another mind perceiving that image gets a like idea. Two
persons may agree upon a conventional sign which shall call up to them an
idea it would not call up to anybody else. But in framing the convention
they must have resorted to the primitive diagrammatic method of embodying
the idea in an outward form, a picture. Remembering what *likeness*
consists in, namely, in the natural attraction of ideas apart from habitual
outward associations, I call those signs which stand for their likeness to
them *icons*. Accordingly, I say that the only way of directly
communicating an idea is by means of an icon; and every indirect method of
communicating an idea must depend for its establishment upon the use of an
icon. Hence, every assertion must contain an icon or set of icons, or else
must contain signs whose meaning is only explicable by icons. The idea
which the set of icons (or the equivalent of a set of icons) contained in
an assertion signifies may be termed the *predicate* of the assertion. (R
787:22-23[26-27])

The unpublished paragraphs preceding this one reveal that what Peirce means
here by "an idea" is "a dream without a habitat" (R 787:20[24]), seemingly
anticipating the first of his "three Universes of Experience" that
"comprises all mere Ideas, those airy nothings to which the mind of poet,
pure mathematician, or another *might *give local habitation and a name
within that mind" (CP 6.455, EP 2:435, 1908).  He adds that "Every idea ...
is more or less vague," such that "An idea cannot accurately be said to
have any identity ... Ideas have no *hic et nunc*, no *hecceity*, by which
they could be *this* and *that* independently of their likeness to one
another ... The vagueness of every idea deprives it of absolute identity
even with itself" (R 787:21[25]).  It is an idea in *this *sense that
according to Peirce can only be communicated "by means of an icon"; namely,
"the *predicate *of the assertion."