Charles, List:

I would like to offer a few remarks prompted by your interesting post over
the weekend.

CP: Similarly, while many people would not regard it as self-evident that
truth is prior to falsity, I hold that it is, and have argued as such in
various publications. In keeping with the order of this asymmetry truth is
unmarked and falsity is marked.

Helmut later brought up Peirce's entitative graphs, but when several of
those are scribed on the sheet, the claim is merely that at least one of
them is true, while all the others could be false. By contrast, in his
existential graphs, everything scribed on the sheet is asserted to be
(jointly) true. In fact, the *blank *sheet represents the inexhaustible
continuum of true propositions that one could *potentially *assert, perhaps
analogous to the "silence" of truth from a linguistic standpoint. Moreover,
Peirce himself recognizes that deductively inferring one truth from another
is *primitive *as represented in existential graphs by the scroll, while
falsity is an additional concept that is *derived *upon recognizing that
absurdity follows from some propositions as represented by a scroll with a
blackened inner close.

CSP: It was forced upon the logician’s attention that a certain development
of reasoning was possible before, or as if before, the concept of *falsity *had
ever been framed, or any recognition of such a thing as a false assertion
had ever taken place. Probably every human being passes through such a
grade of intellectual life, which may be called the state of paradisaical
logic, when reasoning takes place but when the idea of falsity, whether in
assertion or in inference, has never been recognized. But it will soon be
recognized that not every assertion is true; and that once recognized, as
soon as one notices that if a certain thing were true, every assertion
would be true, one at once rejects the antecedent that leads to that absurd
consequence. (R 669:18-19[16-17], 31 May 1911)

As Peirce notes shortly after the quoted passage, as well as elsewhere in
his writings, a simple cut or shaded area for negation comes about only
when the blackened inner close of a scroll is imagined to be
infinitesimally small. In at least that specific sense, while it may not
quite be self-evident, I agree that "truth is prior to falsity." However, I
must take issue with your statement today that "truth is prior to semiosis"
and that this "is consistent with Peirce's thinking." On the contrary, for
him truth is the *ideal end* of semiosis--that at which it aims, the
ultimate opinion that *would *be affirmed by an infinite community as the
result of infinite inquiry. Logic as semeiotic is a normative science
precisely because it reveals how we *ought *to think, just in case adopting
only true beliefs is our objective in the long run.

CP: For example, the conventional view holds that the past is first, the
present it next, and then comes the future. But to the contrary language
presupposes that the present is first and the past is second. This contrary
view does make sense, however, in that we experience things first in the
present, and then they become past. We take a picture in the present, but
it instantly becomes past. In keeping with this experiential view the
language universal is that the past is marked in relation to the present.
Thus look vs look+ed.

In terms of Peirce's categories, we can certainly observe ways in which the
present corresponds to 1ns, the past to 2ns, and the future to 3ns. In
particular, this matches up directly with how in semiosis the sign itself
corresponds to 1ns, its object to 2ns, and its interpretant to 3ns--not as
metaphysical modes, but as the different correlates of a genuine triadic
relation such that further analysis yields two objects and three
interpretants in accordance with Robert Marty's podium diagram. "The object
and the interpretant are thus merely the two correlates of the sign; the
one being antecedent, the other consequent of the sign" (EP 2:410, 1907).
Relative to the sign, the genuine (dynamical) object is in the past, while
the genuine (final) and degenerate (dynamical) interpretants are in the
future; but the degenerate (immediate) object and doubly degenerate
(immediate) interpretant are present in the sign itself.

Hence both semiosis and time conform to Gary Richmond's categorial vector
of determination (2ns→1ns→3ns), reflecting how the entire universe is
itself a sign, specifically an argument--"a vast representamen, a great
symbol of God’s purpose, working out its conclusions in living realities"
(CP 5.119, EP 2:193, 1903). I explore this further, as well as how each of
Gary's other five vectors can be applied to different aspects of time, in
my recent "Temporal Synechism" paper (https://rdcu.be/b9xVm).

   - aspiration (2ns→3ns→1ns) - Our experience (2ns) of the past provides
   our knowledge (3ns) at the present, which is our basis for making
   conjectures (1ns) about the future.
   - process (1ns→3ns→2ns) -  At any assignable date, the universe is
   constantly evolving (3ns) from being utterly indeterminate (1ns) in the
   infinite past toward being utterly determinate (2ns) in the infinite future.
   - analysis (3ns→2ns→1ns) - The continuity of time (3ns as reality)
   involves the continuity of reacting things (2ns as persistence) and the
   continuity of possible qualities (1ns as diversity).
   - representation (3ns→1ns→2ns) - The constitution of being is an
   inexhaustible continuum (3ns) of real but indefinite possibilities (1ns),
   some of which are actualized (2ns).
   - order (1ns→2ns→3ns) - The temporal sequence of such "events of
   creation" consists of spontaneity (1ns) followed by reaction (2ns) and then
   habit-taking (3ns).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian