I have been thinking about existential graphs again lately and wondering
how they might be employed to represent abduction, rather than deduction.
Peirce describes the form of abductive inference as follows.

CSP: The surprising fact, C, is observed;
But if A were true, C would be a matter of course.
Hence, there is reason to suspect that A is true. (CP 5.189, EP 2:341, 1903)

He elaborates on this a few years later.

CSP: Every inquiry whatsoever takes its rise in the observation, in one or
another of the three Universes, of some surprising phenomenon, some
experience which either disappoints an expectation, or breaks in upon some
habit of expectation ... . The inquiry begins with pondering these
phenomena in all their aspects, in the search of some point of view whence
the wonder shall be resolved. At length a conjecture arises that furnishes
a possible Explanation,--by which I mean a syllogism exhibiting the
surprising fact as necessarily consequent upon the circumstances of its
occurrence together with the truth of the credible conjecture, as
premisses. On account of this Explanation, the inquirer is led to regard
his conjecture, or hypothesis, with favor. As I phrase it, he provisionally
holds it to be "Plausible" ... (CP 6.469, EP 2:441, 1908)

Hence abduction is "reasoning from consequent to antecedent" (ibid) or
reasoning from conclusion to premisses--i.e., reasoning *backwards*, which
is why Peirce ultimately prefers to call it *retroduction*. Accordingly, in
EGs we can scribe any true proposition on the sheet of assertion--such as a
surprising fact (C)--and "scroll" it so that it becomes the consequent of a
conditional (in the inner close), then insert any proposition whatsoever
(A) as the hypothetical antecedent (in the outer close). Since C is true
and we have complied with the transformation rules, the resulting
consequence (if A then C) cannot be *false* no matter what we choose for A.
But does this entail that it is *true*?

On the contrary, as with intuitionistic logic, excluded middle does not
hold in such a case. Given that C is true, we only have reason to suspect
that A is true if C *follows *from A as a matter of course. In other words,
the plausibility of A as an *explanation *of C relies on there being a
rational *sequence *from A to C. This requirement is obscured in classical
deductive logic, "completely hidden behind the superfluous machinery which
is introduced in order to give an appearance of symmetry to logical law" (R
490:29, CP 4.581, 1906), by treating "if A then C" as equivalent to "not-(A
and not-C)" or "not-A or C"--i.e., a scroll as equivalent to nested cuts or
a shaded area enclosing an unshaded area--because the latter formulations
are *always *true as long as C is true.

CSP: The second failure of Selectives to be as analytical as possible lies
in their encouraging the idea that negation, or denial, is a relatively
simple concept, and that the concept of Consequence, is a special composite
of two negations, so that to say, “If in the actual state of things A is
true, then B is true,” is correctly analyzed as the assertion, “It is false
to say that A is true while B is false.” I fully acknowledge that, for most
purposes and in a preliminary explanation, the error of this analysis is
altogether insignificant. But when we come to the first analysis the
inaccuracy must not be passed over. (R 300:48-49[47-48], 1908)

Even in deductive reasoning, there is "a real movement of thought" from
antecedent to consequent, from premisses to conclusion. The continuous
scroll preserves this aspect, while discrete nested cuts or shaded/unshaded
areas do not.

CSP: All my own writings upon formal logic have been based on the belief
that the concept of Sequence, alike in reasonings and in judgments, whether
the latter be conditional or categorical, could in no wise be replaced by
any composition of ideas. For in reasoning, at least, when we first affirm,
or affirmatively judge, the conjugate of premisses, the judgment of the
conclusion has not yet been performed. There then follows a real movement
of thought in the mind, in which that judgment of the conclusion comes to
pass. Now surely, speaking of the same A and B as above, it were absurd to
say that a real change of A into a sequent B consists in a state of things
that should consist in there not being an A without a B. For in such a
state of things there would be no change at all. (R 300:49[48])

There is likewise "a real movement of thought" in abductive/retroductive
reasoning, but in the opposite direction. That is why it is ampliative
rather than merely explicative, with the tradeoff that its inferences are
merely plausible rather than certain.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian