Helmut, list,

I think it’s important to discriminate between logical processes, or kinds of
argument (deduction, induction, abduction), and “kinds of separation”
(dissociation, prescission, discrimination), which are pre-logical in the sense
that no reasoning is involved, just a kind of imagination/perception of
possibilities. A couple of paragraphs from Peirce’s 1903 “Syllabus” might be
helpful here. Both are from EP2:270 (but I’m skipping one paragraph between
them).

CSP: [[ In order to understand logic, it is necessary to get as clear notions
as possible of these three categories and to gain the ability to recognize them
in the different conceptions with which logic deals. Although all three are
ubiquitous, yet certain kinds of separations may be effected upon them. There
are three distinct kinds of separation in thought. They correspond to the three
categories. Separation of Firstness, or Primal Separation, called Dissociation,
consists in imagining one of the two separands without the other. It may be
complete or incomplete. Separation of Secondness, or Secundal Separation,
called Precission, consists in supposing a state of things in which one element
is present without the other, the one being logically possible without the
other. Thus, we cannot imagine a sensuous quality without some degree of
vividness. But we usually suppose that redness, as it is in red things, has no
vividness; and it would certainly be impossible to demonstrate that everything
red must have a degree of vividness. Separation of Thirdness, or Tertial
Separation, called discrimination, consists in representing one of the two
separands without representing the other. If A can be prescinded from, i.e.
supposed without, B, then B can, at least, be discriminated from A. ]]

[[ It is possible to prescind Firstness from Secondness. We can suppose a being
whose whole life consists in one unvarying feeling of redness. But it is
impossible to prescind Secondness from Firstness. For to suppose two things is
to suppose two units; and however colorless and indefinite an object may be, it
is something, and therein has Firstness, even if it has nothing recognizable as
a quality. Everything must have some non-relative element; and this is its
Firstness. So likewise it is possible to prescind Secondness from Thirdness.
But Thirdness without Secondness would be absurd. ]]

As for involution and evolution, I would say they are neither kinds of argument
nor kinds of separation, but kinds of logical relation.

Gary f.