Welcome to the conversation on the Peirce list, Jack! I hope your post will
inspire some of the other “novices” to join in as well.

You may get a reply from Jon when he has the time, but for now I’ll just offer
my own response to one key point in your post:

JC: Isn't it a fact, though, that thirdness is the irreducible mode of
consciousness?

GF: Thirdness is the predominant mode of cognition and of semiosis, but not of
consciousness according to Peirce’s usual employment of the term:
“Consciousness may mean any one of the three categories” (CP 8.256, 1902).
Secondness is felt or sensed as “dyadic consciousness” (R 300, 38) before it is
abstracted and named as a category. As for Firstness,

CSP: Stop to think of it, and it has flown! What the world was to Adam on the
day he opened his eyes to it, before he had drawn any distinctions, or had
become conscious of his own existence — that is first, present, immediate,
fresh, new, initiative, original, spontaneous, free, vivid, conscious, and
evanescent. Only, remember that every description of it must be false to it.
(W6:171, CP 1.357, 1887-8)

GF: Description, being semiosic, is ‘contaminated’ with Thirdness; but the pure
“first” is conscious even for Adam before he had become conscious of his own
existence. This is a broader usage of “consciousness” than we usually find in
cognitive science or psychology, where many virtually identify it with
self-consciousness. But it’s the appropriate usage for phaneroscopy, where
direct “observation” of the phaneron has to come before “generalization.” In
the latter stage, where a “doctrine of categories” emerges, there does seem to
be a kind of “feedback loop” where the investigator has to go back and forth
between theory and observation in order to “test” the theory, as in any
positive science. But preconceptions are not supposed to interfere with
phaneroscopic “observation” proper.

We should also address the questions you raise about time and about the Kantian
thing-in-itself, but since André addresses that one directly in the next slide
(9), I think I’ll wait until that’s been posted.

Gary f.

} This sentence contradicts itself—or rather—well, no, actually it doesn't!
[Hofstadter] {

 <https://gnusystems.ca/wp/> https://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ living the time