Robert, List:

On the very same manuscript page but omitted from NEM 3:1122, Peirce goes
on to state, "Of these three great parts, we must consider the secondary
parts of empirics first; for this division furnishes the ideas of the
divisions of mathematics and pragmatics." On the next manuscript page,
which appears to be a discarded earlier draft, he states, "Mathematics
freely plays with the ideas it finds itself in possession of. Empirics
considers what ideas experience forces upon us. Pragmatics studies the
processes by which the outer world is to be brought into accordance with
our wishes." Other manuscript pages equate "empirics" with "phenomenology"
but divide it into "philosophy" (consisting of logic and metaphysics),
"nomology" (consisting of psychics and physics), and "descriptive science"
or "episcopy" (consisting of "ergography," "empsychography" or
"anthropography," and "cosmography").

In short, as I have pointed out before, R 1345 (now dated c. 1896) it
is a *very
early* attempt by Peirce to outline a classification of the sciences,
reflecting a considerable amount of conceptual and terminological
uncertainty and experimentation. There is no warrant whatsoever for
treating it as if it were definitive, given that he developed a
substantially different and much more detailed one over the ensuing years
as described in CP 1.203-283 (1902) and CP 1.180-202 (EP 2:258-262, 1903).
Vehkavaara's comprehensive chart captures the latter quite nicely, and I
note for the record that "empirics" as "the study of phenomena with the
purpose of identifying their forms with those mathematics has studied" is
nowhere to be found in it. Instead, phenomenology or phaneroscopy (also
called categorics or ideoscopy) is summarized as the "study of Universal
Categories (all present in any phenomenon): Firstness, Secondness,
Thirdness."

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian