Gary F., List:

GF: Maybe he [Vehkavaara] just invented it ["negative science"] to
distinguish it from “positive science.”

That is what I suspect, as well, and it is not a very apt choice. Peirce
defines a "positive science" in one place as "an investigating theoretical
science which inquires what is the fact, in contradistinction to pure
mathematics which merely seeks to know what follows from certain
hypotheses" (CP 5.13n, c. 1902); and in another as "an inquiry which seeks
for *positive *knowledge; that is, for such knowledge as may conveniently
be expressed in a *categorical proposition*," whereas mathematics is a
"Conditional or Hypothetical Science" (CP 5.39-40, EP 2:144, 1903).

GF: So the “very peculiar” kind of observation in mathematics is
observation *of imaginary objects*, while phaneroscopic observation is of *any
*objects that can be “before the mind” regardless of whether they are
imaginary or not.

I agree, thanks for the clarification.

GF: What we usually call the “empirical” sciences generally observe objects
that are not imaginary in the sense that mathematical constructions are.

Indeed, and what Peirce calls "empirics" in c. 1896 seems to go well beyond
what he calls "phaneroscopy" several years later--also encompassing logic,
metaphysics, and the special sciences, but presumably not the normative
science of ethics, which seems to fall under "pragmatics" instead.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian