Well, I guess I underestimated how eager we are to focus on the classification
of sciences! A couple of brief questions before I post the slides on that:

Robert, thanks for attaching the Tommi Vehkavaara diagram. In it mathematics is
labelled “negative science.” This is a new term for me, and I haven’t found it
in any of Peirce’s texts, so it would be helpful if you explain what it means,
or else point us to the paper where Tommi does so. (Maybe he just invented it
to distinguish it from “positive science.”)

Jon, you wrote that “what mainly distinguishes it [phaneroscopy] from
mathematics is observation vs. imagination; or rather, observation as including
but not limited to products of the imagination” — but for the very reason you
give after the semicolon, I wouldn’t want to frame the distinction as
“observation vs. imagination.” Peirce says that even mathematics is
observational, in a quote that Robert posted earlier:

CSP: The first [ science ] is mathematics, which does not undertake to
ascertain any matter of fact whatever, but merely posits hypotheses and traces
out their consequences. It is observational, in so far as it makes
constructions in the imagination according to abstract precepts, and then
observes these imaginary objects, finding in them relations of parts not
specified in the precept of construction. This is truly observation, yet
certainly in a very peculiar sense; and no other kind of observation would at
all answer the purpose of mathematics. (CP 1.239)

GF: So the “very peculiar” kind of observation in mathematics is observation of
imaginary objects, while phaneroscopic observation is of any objects that can
be “before the mind” regardless of whether they are imaginary or not. (What we
usually call the “empirical” sciences generally observe objects that are not
imaginary in the sense that mathematical constructions are.)

Gary f.