Robert, List:

For Peirce, mathematics is indeed a science of *discovery*, but it is
not a *positive
*science.

CSP: Mathematics is the most abstract of all the sciences. For it makes no
external observations, nor asserts anything as a real fact. When the
mathematician deals with facts, they become for him mere "hypotheses"; for
with their truth he refuses to concern himself. The whole science of
mathematics is a science of hypotheses; so that nothing could be more
completely abstracted from concrete reality. ...
Mathematics is not a positive science; for the mathematician holds
himself free to say that *A* is *B* or that *A* is not *B*, the only
obligation upon him being, that as long as he says *A* is *B*, he is to
hold to it, consistently. (CP 3.428, 1896)

CSP: Perhaps you will ask me whether it is possible to conceive of a
science which should not aim to declare that something is positively or
categorically true. I reply that it is not only possible to conceive of
such a science, but that such science exists and flourishes, and
Phenomenology, which does not depend upon any other *positive science*,
nevertheless must, if it is to be properly grounded, be made to depend upon
the Conditional or Hypothetical Science of *Pure Mathematics*, whose only
aim is to discover not how things actually are, but how they might be
supposed to be, if not in our universe, then in some other. (CP 5.40, EP
2:144, 1903)

CSP: Pure mathematics differs from the positive sciences in not making any
categorical assertions, but only saying what would be true in case certain
hypotheses were true, and not undertaking to be in the least responsible
for there being anything in nature corresponding to its hypotheses, whether
exactly or approximately. The positive sciences do undertake to assert what
the characters of the experiential facts are. (EP 2:146, 1903)

CSP: Science of Discovery is either, I. Mathematics; II. Philosophy; or
III. Idioscopy.
Mathematics studies what is and what is not logically possible, without
making itself responsible for its actual existence. Philosophy is *positive
science*, in the sense of discovering what really is true; but it limits
itself to so much of truth as can be inferred from common experience.
Idioscopy embraces all the special sciences, which are principally occupied
with the accumulation of new facts. (CP 1.183-184, EP 2:259, 1903)

No one is disputing that in Peirce's classification, mathematics is the
science on which all other sciences depend for their principles, nor that
every other science has its mathematical part accordingly. Nevertheless,
when we employ mathematics *within *phaneroscopy, we are still practicing
phaneroscopy, not mathematics; and when we employ mathematics or
phaneroscopy *within *semeiotic, we are still practicing semeiotic, not
mathematics or phaneroscopy. Peirce consistently defines mathematics *per
se* as the science that draws necessary conclusions about hypothetical
states of things.

CSP: Mathematics is, therefore, the study of the substance of hypotheses,
or mental creations, with a view to the drawing of necessary conclusions.
(NEM 4:268, c. 1895)

CSP: The most abstract of all the sciences is mathematics. That this is so,
has been made manifest in our day; because all mathematicians now see
clearly that mathematics is only busied about *purely hypothetical
questions*. As for what the truth of existence may be the mathematician
does not (qua mathematician) care a straw. (CP 1.53, 1896)

CSP: Of late decades philosophical mathematicians have come to a pretty
just understanding of the nature of their own pursuit. I do not know that
anybody struck the true note before Benjamin Peirce, who, in 1870, declared
mathematics to be "the science which draws necessary conclusions," adding
that it must be defined "subjectively" and not "objectively." A view
substantially in accord with his, though needlessly complicated, is given
in the article "Mathematics," in the ninth edition of the *Encyclopædia
Britannica*. The author, Professor George Chrystal, holds that the essence
of mathematics lies in its making pure hypotheses, and in the character of
the hypotheses which it makes. What the mathematicians mean by a
"hypothesis" is a proposition imagined to be strictly true of an ideal
state of things. In this sense, it is only about hypotheses that necessary
reasoning has any application; for, in regard to the real world, we have no
right to presume that any given intelligible proposition is true in
absolute strictness. On the other hand, probable reasoning deals with the
ordinary course of experience; now, nothing like *a course of experience*
exists for ideal hypotheses. Hence to say that mathematics busies itself in
drawing necessary conclusions, and to say that it busies itself with
hypotheses, are two statements which the logician perceives come to the
same thing. (CP 3.558, 1898)

CSP: The third elementary way of reasoning is *deduction*, of which the
warrant is that the facts presented in the premisses could not under any
imaginable circumstances be true without involving the truth of the
conclusion, which is therefore accepted with necessary modality. But though
it be necessary in its modality, it does not by any means follow that the
conclusion is certainly true. When we are reasoning about purely
hypothetical states of things, as in mathematics, and can make it one of
our hypotheses that what is true shall depend only on a certain kind of
condition ... we can be certain of our conclusions, *provided no blunders
have been committed*. ... It is to ideal states of things alone--or to real
states of things as ideally conceived, always more or less departing from
the reality--that deduction applies. (CP 2.778, 1902)

CSP: It was Benjamin Peirce, whose son I boast myself, that in 1870 first
defined mathematics as "the science which draws necessary conclusions."
This was a hard saying at the time; but today, students of the philosophy
of mathematics generally acknowledge its substantial correctness. ...
For all modern mathematicians agree with Plato and Aristotle that
mathematics deals exclusively with hypothetical states of things, and
asserts no matter of fact whatever; and further, that it is thus alone that
the necessity of its conclusions is to be explained. This is the true
essence of mathematics; and my father's definition is in so far correct
that it is impossible to reason necessarily concerning anything else than a
pure hypothesis. ...
Mathematics is the study of what is true of hypothetical states of things.
That is its essence and definition. Everything in it, therefore, beyond the
first precepts for the construction of the hypotheses, has to be of the
nature of apodictic inference. No doubt, we may reason imperfectly and jump
at a conclusion; still, the conclusion so guessed at is, after all, that in
a certain supposed state of things something would necessarily be true.
Conversely, too, every apodictic inference is, strictly speaking,
mathematics. ...
It is difficult to decide between the two definitions of mathematics; the
one by its method, that of drawing necessary conclusions; the other by its
aim and subject matter, as the study of hypothetical states of things. (CP
4.229&233-234&238, 1902)

In short, according to Peirce, mathematics is *strictly deductive* in its
method and *strictly hypothetical* in its subject matter. Claiming
otherwise is revisionism.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian