John, List,

Thank you for the shared resources (Diagrammatolgy by Stjernfelt is proving
particularly helpful to me). However, I have a slight deviation.

In trying to tease out some of Peirce's terms, I have been thinking about a
hypothetical scenario:

A bird flies over a cornfield. It descends in anticipation of landing. Just as
it is about to land, it notices a patch of black and brown standing out, apart
from, the yellowy hue of the corn. The patch corresponds to an (as yet)
undetermined figure of a scarecrow. Now, what variety of sign
relationship/vehicle, are we dealing with?
Held in suspension, with no resolution -- no answer to the question "What
effect did the figure produce upon/within the bird?" -- it seems impossible to
identify the correct sign-type. The kind of sign relationship which encompasses
bird and scarecrow seems to suffer from ambiguity (or perhaps generality) until
the object of the sign determines the interpretant (or some such similar
process occurs; essentially, until there is some corresponding action within
the mind of the bird).
If, then, the bird reacts to the figure by averting its landing and beginning a
renewed ascent, the effect is one of avoidance. The figure has thus served its
purpose insofar as, to the bird, it represents something (an icon?) of that
"type" we call human.

There are many different kinds of sign and sign-type which seem to fit
different stages of the above description (icon being the most obvious but
perhaps not in the most obvious place, as is icon not more suitable to the
earliest stage, prior to determination, wherein generality is much more
prominent?), and I am curious as to how you would all go about investigating
this problem?

If nothing else, these hypotheticals help me clarify what Peirce means by his
various terms.

Best

Jack