Dear John, List

Your message leads me to multiple questions, which, in my opinion, raise
fundamental problems.

1. JS > "*Different people have different ways of thinking and talking."*

Yes, but the individuals, as a whole, do not think nor speak independently
of each other; diverse common cultural codes connect them learned,
inculcated like languages and signs organized in systems; for a significant
part of them, they are imposed (symbolic violence). The semiologist Roland
Barthes in his speech of reception, remained famous to the College of
France (1977), denounced the languages as follows: "*Language, as the
performance of all language, is neither reactionary nor progressive; it is
quite simply fascist; for fascism is not to prevent saying, it is to oblige
to say*." This is obviously a figure of exaggeration. However, it reflects
that languages incorporate worldviews common to the people who use them
natively (the Hegelian weltanschauung). For my part, I put this quote from
Peirce at the beginning of my Ph.D. (1987): *"All speech is but such an
algebra, the repeated signs being the words, which have relations by virtue
of the meanings associated with them*."(CP 3.418). The fundamental
distinction I share with you between thinking in words and thinking in
diagrams thus results from the fact that language is a powerful filter in
the expression of thought, while diagrams, which depend only on universal
(or almost *universal) *graphic conventions, are virtually free of any
influence.

2. JS >* "Phenomenology, phaneroscopy, or phenoscopy is the first stage of**
analyzing and interpreting the phaneron in diagrams.  It depends on the
three branches of mathematics (formal logic, discrete math, and continuous
math) to derive and classify the elements and patterns of elements." *

I agree, but I add that there are two ways to situate these observations:

·         either in the "*Practical Sciences*"( *i.e.: "scientific inquiry
with an ulterior end (1911) "- "for the uses of life",- "e.g. science of
morality (ethics in common sense)* "(see The outline of Peirce's
classification of sciences
<https://www.academia.edu/5148127/The_outline_of_Peirces_classification_of_sciences_1902_1911_>
(1902-1911) compiled by Tommi Vehkavaara)

·         either in the "Sciences of Discovery" in which they depend on
mathematics. Then we have to consider a formal mathematized model and look
for it in the "mathematical repository."

Question: If we find such a model (which is very easy considering only
Peirce's definitions and what he says about the interdependence between the
universal categories by involvement), don't we have an obligation to take
it into account all along its deployment with Phenomenology in the first
line, because the dependence of Phaneroscopy to Mathematics becomes quite
explicit? Otherwise, won't we remain confined to the Practical Sciences in
the company of the eternal conservative-bricoleurs?

3. JS*  > "The patterns are possibilities (hypotheses or guesses) whose**
probability is evaluated by the normative sciences." *The syntactic
mathematical model having been implemented in the universal categories
become a semantic model. It appears then constitutive of phaneroscopy as a
universal science of discovery; it is neither hypothesis nor enigma,
because it does not have to be submitted to an evaluation, being exact by
nature in all locations and at all times, unlike the experimental models
whose universality must be verified.

The above argumentation is clearly in line with the framework below
extracted from The Structure of Scientific Theories (Stanford Encyclopedia
of Philosophy)
<https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/structure-scientific-theories/#toc> :

"A table helps summarize general aspects of the three views’ analyses of
the structure of scientific theories:

*Syntactic View*

*Semantic View*

*Pragmatic View*

Theory Structure

Uninterpreted axiomatic system

(i) State-space,
(ii) Model-/set-theoretic

Internal and external pluralism

Theory Interpretation

Correspondence rules

(i) Hierarchy of models,
(ii) Similarity,
(iii) Isomorphism

(i) Structure already inflected by practice, function, and application
(ii) Pragmatic virtues

Is theory interpretation an aspect of theory structure?

Yes

No

Yes, although the distinction is hard to make.

Table 2. General aspects of each view’s analysis of the structure of
scientific theories."

4. RM > his leads me finally to a final question to be discussed: should
the classification of sciences according to Peirce be considered as a kind
of imperative to be respected or can phenomenology be approached from the
logic that depends on it according to this classification?
Honorary Professor; Ph.D. Mathematics; Ph.D. Philosophy
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty
*https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ <https://martyrobert.academia.edu/>*