}Gary R, list

        I profoundly disagree with JAS's outline for 'the Reality of God'
and consider that it has deep logical and textual errors, but, I had
already decided that I would not make any comments on his outline.

        Then - your quite astonishing declaration that people who might
oppose or critique his outline can be defined as doing so, not out of
intellectual concerns, but out of emotional need, and can be compared
to 'anti-vaxxers' who are defined by the majority as problematic to
society's well-being...that's quite the assertion!

        You posted your criticism of people-who-criticize on this list to
the list, and therefore, I think that my objection to such a
description should also be public.

        I should also note that for some odd reason - the List was silent
about Robert Marty's critique of Bellucci. And also, had nothing to
say about De Tienne's Finale.

        Edwina
 On Fri 24/09/21 12:38 AM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Jon, List,
 I'm still vacationing in New Mexico, but have decided to break my
pre-determined 'rule' to only read, but not post, messages to
Peirce-L while away. This is because I want to say that, in my humble
opinion, your outline of an argumentation for the reality of God
(which I agree is consistent with Peirce's arguments to the same
effect) is logically (semeiotically) brilliant and, perhaps more
importantly, metaphysically profound from the standpoint of Peirce's
own religious metaphysics.
 There will, of course, be those on the List who, for various
'reasons', dismiss it out of hand. They will hardly -- if at all --
even begin to reflect on it before their fingers start typing out an
incensed retort. Of late I'm beginning to imagine that at least some
of those who pooh-pooh such solid reasoning as you've frequently
offered in this forum (and, bracketing for a moment, the eternally, I
suspect, more than problematic subject of your outline) may suffer
from the intellectual snarl some psychologists call "motivated
cognition." Here's a friend's brief description in an email
concerning the condition in consideration of the problem of
anti-covid-vaxers in the USA.
 These contra-common-sense beliefs are based on what the
psychologists call “motivated cognition” or “hot cognition,”
i.e. their real function is to serve some emotional need (such as
career validation), and their reasoning is just rationalization
cobbled together from confirmation bias and various other tricks
humans use to fool themselves. So there’s no reasoning with them,
all that does is raise the temperature of the conversation.
 Well, that most likely overstates the 'issue' on Peirce-L, while my
even writing that there may be expressions of such a condition here
is sure to "raise the temperature of the conversation" so that I'm
quite certain to be blasted for even suggesting -- and you will note,
as List Moderator -- that the phenomenon may exist here at least to
some extent.
 Also, there are those who do not know or will not acknowledge the
history of your and my on-List (and, admittedly, even more
frequently, off-List) philosophical disagreements. It has even been
suggested, on- and off-List, that I from time to time strongly agree
with one of your posts (now this is bizarre) because I'm under some
Svengali-like intellectual control you have over me -- rather than
what is the truth of the matter -- that while from time to time I do
disagree with your reasoning, I more often find your thinking strong
and persuasive, and in regard to matters of Peirce's own thinking,
most often solidly supported by quoting what he actually said (as
John Sowa recently suggested that we all do; I completely agree).
 Well, I hope that this digression regarding conduct on the List
hasn't diluted the principal purpose of the message expressed at the
top of it. I know for a fact that you much prefer responses honestly
critical of your thinking because, as you've written on- and
off-List, your experience is that such sincere criticism tends to
sharpen it. I've seen this 'effect' in your "Additament" paper, for
example, and expressed in your sincerely thanking Edwina there for
the lengthy discussion you had with her on the List which,
apparently, provided a kind of whetstone to your own thinking on that
subject. Would that all members of this forum begin to see that  that
is the kind of discussion which could benefit us all.
 So, while I am quite aware that you have little to no interest in
anyone praising your work on the List or promoting your recently
published Peircean papers, I find myself incapable of not saying from
time to time, "Good work, Jon!" May we all have minds that are open
even as we are honestly critical of the reasoning of a person and not
 the person himself. What is needed here is genuine critical and
creative criticism.
 So, let's hope -- and even expect -- that your "outline of an
argumentation for the reality of God that is consistent with Peirce's
 argument in the article, as well as other passages in his late
writings" will receive some good honest criticism (not debate; as
John Sowa recently suggested, which is surely not what this forum is
about). I would prefer that those who disagree with those views I've
expressed as List Moderator first discuss their disagreement with me
off List as suggested by Joe Ransdell on the Peirce-L page of
Arisbe. Better that we first discuss the substance of Jon's outline.
 Best,
 Gary Richmond (writing, in part, as List Moderator)
“LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
 BEAUTY AND TERROR
 JUST KEEP GOING
 NO FEELING IS FINAL”
 ― RAINER MARIA RILKE
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication StudiesLaGuardia
College of the City University of New York