Jack, List:

JRKC: Is the basic point that if the universe is a sign, then the initial
object of that sign must have existed prior to, or in external relation to,
the universe (as sign)?

The basic point is that the (dynamical) object of *any *sign is necessarily
external to, independent of, and unaffected by *that *sign. As John Sowa
has suggested, anything spatial and temporal belongs to Peirce's
*second *Universe
of Experience, "that of the Brute Actuality of things and facts" (CP 6.455,
EP 2:435, 1908) or "that of, first, Objects whose Being consists in their
Brute reactions, and of, second, the facts (reactions, events, qualities,
etc.) concerning those Objects, all of which facts, in the last analysis,
consist in their reactions" (EP 2:479, 1908). God is *not *this kind of
object, so in Peirce's careful terminology, God is *real *but does not
*exist*.

Moreover, in accordance with "the pragmaticistic definition of *Ens
necessarium*," a "disembodied spirit, or pure mind, has its being out of
time" (CP 6.490, 1908). Since time itself is part of our existing universe,
the (dynamical) object of *this *sign must be outside of time
altogether--one of the traditional attributes of God.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian