Jon, Jack, List,

Jon, do you think that the "Blackboard" analogy that appears near the
conclusion of the 1898 lecture series (published as "Reasoning and the
Logic of Things") has any bearing on your outline argument?

We discussed this a while back as Peirce's suggesting the 'conditions' (but
no word quite captures his meaning here) 'before' Time was, 'before' the
putative Big Bang. In that analogy the blackboard represents "a continuum
of some indefinite multitude of dimensions," "a continuum of possible
points." (I have called this an ur-continuity.)

There are no points on this blackboard" until some discontinuities  (lines
representing 1ns in Peirce's illustration) are produced by chance. At
"first" (although, again Time is not yet) some of these lines, these
Firstnesses, spontaneously disappear. But some 'stick' because of what
Peirce calls "a generalizing tendency," a tendency:

CSP  ". . .which must have its origin in the original continuity which is
inherent in potentiality. Continuity, which as generality, is inherent in
potentiality, which is essentially  general."

Peirce calls this a "Platonic world" of systems of limitless possibilities
before any actual world has come into existence. Only some of these
possibilities will form the 'system' which will eventuate in our Universe
coming into being (it seems to be implied that other Universes are
possible). I have tended to think of all this as representing the
'conditions before' the Big Bang.

I believe this may have bearing on your outline as well as Jack's question.
Would you care to comment on it in relation to the NA and your outline? Or,
if you think it has no direct relation (although personally I think it has)
perhaps you would comment on the meaning of the Blackboard example itself
apart from the NA.

I might say more myself, but I'm about to board a plane in a couple of
hours and, in fact, depended on the editors' introduction to RLT for the
brief quotations I provided.

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you