Jack, I appreciate your point that “we cannot have an epistemology without some
form of "anthropology".” If I may extend the idea a little, we cannot hope to
understand human nature, or why humans think and act the way we do, unless we
can draw on insights emerging from biology, anthropology, sociology,
psychology, phenomenology, semiotics, and the whole range of empirical sciences
(“Idioscopy” was Peirce’s term). But the fact that all these disciplines have
been hived off into academic special interests makes it difficult to integrate
them all into a coherent system.

I happen to think that Peirce’s philosophy, especially his phenomenology and
the semiotics which is quite explicitly based on it, is highly relevant to the
challenges of living in our time — relevant just as it is, in the writings that
Peirce left us. That’s why I included so much of it in my online book Turning
Signs <https://gnusystems.ca/TS/> . My purpose there was to integrate it with
more recent insights from the disciplines mentioned above, along with
selections from ancient scriptures and Indigenous traditions. Jeremy Lent’s new
book The Web of Meaning does much the same thing, and very well (I think), but
leaves out the semiotics. So I think my book may have some added value,
although Lent’s may be more accessible.

I do not believe that studies of Peirce are relevant only when we can link them
up somehow with current developments in our own specialized field (such as
“Cognitive Science,” using John Sowa’s example). I think Peirce’s ideas, just
as he expressed them, can and should be integrated with matters of living
concern. I think they are “directly applicable to the conduct of life, and full
of nutrition for man's highest growth,” as Peirce said of his “neglected
argument” (EP2:435). The center of my own concern these days (as readers of my
blog <https://gnusystems.ca/wp/>  know) is the current global situation in
which human activity is rapidly undermining our life support system. Since
there is wide consensus on what needs to be done in this decade to have a
chance of stabilizing our life support system, I am especially interested in
what it is about human nature that has brought us to this pass and seems to be
preventing us from doing what needs to be done. But I do not consider this to
be a ‘special interest’; I think it is of general concern for all life forms on
this planet.

I have several reasons for thinking that Peirce’s work is highly relevant to
this general concern. One is his emphasis on the continuity of semiosis; and
closely connected with this is his psychological insight that human conscious
reasoning is only the tip of the vast iceberg of semiosis (sorry about the
hackneyed metaphor). I think recent developments in social psychology have
borne out this insight — for instance, those summarized at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_intuitionism. I’d be happy to explore this
further on peirce-l if there is interest (and not too many objections).

Gary f.