Jon, List,

I am post-Peircean myself, and so is my book. I find it hard to understand why
anyone takes that adjective as an insult, whether to themselves or to their
theories, unless they are looking for something to take as an insult and an
excuse to vent their animosity. My original point was that if we are trying to
explain how Peirce came up with his categories, it is simply anachronistic to
claim that he derived them from a mathematical model which was invented after
his death. Peirce gives several accounts of how he actually arrived at the
categories — I included them in my Transactions paper that was published in the
issue honoring Joe Ransdell — and I think the simplest option is to take his
word for it. As for “ante-Peircean”, that would have to refer to the theories
of Kant, Aristotle, …

I must admit that I triggered Robert Marty’s animosity by pooh-pooing his
conspiracy theory “that there has been a strong movement in the Peircean
community for quite a long time in favor of an extreme minimization of
mathematics or even its exclusion” (as he stated it in a Sept. 20 post). I
should have simply ignored it from the start, as I did afterwards, even after
some of the loudest voices on peirce-l bought into it, or at least adopted
Robert’s uncritical animosity to De Tienne. As it turned out, it was Robert who
had the “advantage,” and apparently still does with his followers. But I must
take  some of the blame for the derailing of the slow read, and I apologize to
the list for that. Also for not saying anything substantive about the subject
line in this post.

Gary f.