Edwina, List:

As I have already explained twice before in this thread, no one can ever
be absolutely certain that a particular understanding of Peirce's writings (
*dynamical* interpretant) matches their final interpretant--the
*correct *reading,
how the texts *necessarily would be* understood under ideal circumstances,
in the ultimate opinion after infinite inquiry by an infinite community.
However, we *can *discern whether a particular understanding of Peirce's
writings (*dynamical* interpretant) is consistent with their
*immediate *interpretant--the
range of *valid *readings, how the texts possibly could be understood in
accordance with the definitions of the words that comprise it, along with
their arrangement in accordance with the syntax and other rules of grammar
for the system of signs in which it is expressed.

When it comes to some of the most trenchant on-List disagreements, what
Peirce wrote is unmistakably clear. A classification of the sciences that
omits phaneroscopy altogether, or that subsumes it under either mathematics
or semeiotic, is not *Peirce's *mature classification. A speculative
grammar that defines "sign" as the triad, or that models semiosis as
input-function-output, is not *Peirce's *speculative grammar. A cosmology
that denies the reality of God as the non-immanent creator of the entire
universe, or in which mind and matter somehow co-evolved such that neither
is primordial, is not *Peirce's *cosmology. Each of these is apparently a
Peirce-*inspired *analytic framework, but none can rightly be labeled as
*THE* Peircean analytic framework--i.e., *Peirce's *analytic framework.

How can I assert this so confidently? Because I generally agree with the
following past remarks by John Sowa.

JFS (https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2019-08/msg00067.html): The
only clear statements of what Peirce meant are exact quotations.

JFS (https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-05/msg00045.html): But
nobody can claim that anything other than an exact quotation is what Peirce
intended.

JFS (https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-09/msg00146.html): For
any claims about what Peirce believed, please give exact quotations.

In other words, any alleged description and/or application of
*Peirce's *analytic
framework must be explicitly supported by exact quotations from his
writings. Anyone choosing to employ *different *terminology must carefully
spell out how the new terms map to *his *terms.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian