John, List:

JFS: The word 'paper' is the same word that he used in R514 for a paper
with postulates in the margin that govern the graphs inside a red line.

Actually, Peirce *does not* use the word "paper" in the "red pencil"
passage of R 514, he uses the word "sheet." However, this is just a
quibble--I now recognize that every individual page in the R L376 approach
could have a red line drawn just inside its edges, with different
postulates in its margin and thus different graphs within its red line. I
also heartily agree that the postulates in the margin *govern *the graphs
inside the red line, which is why I continue to disagree with this
subsequent statement.

JFS: But the notation of RLT in 1898 is logically equivalent--in the sense
that any "postulates" or "special understandings" could be specified in
either form with exactly the same implications for the "papers" of the
phemic sheet.

In the RLT example, what is written outside the "lightly drawn oval" *does
not* govern what is written inside the oval, at least not in the same
sense. After all, what is written outside the oval is not a *proposition *at
all, so it cannot be a postulate or express a special understanding between
the utterer and interpreter. It is merely a *rheme*, and its blank is
filled by the proposition written inside the oval. As far as I know, this
is a *completely different* notation from anything that Peirce presents in
his other writings about EGs, and he uses it in RLT only as a step toward
explaining the cut for negation.

JFS: I strongly recommend three slides--29, 30, and 31. If you don't read
all (or even any) of the others, please look at the diagrams and read the
text of those three.

I already did so, after you provided the link in your earlier post. I agree
that the RLT example is consistent with what you say about metalanguage,
but it is still *not *equivalent to the "red pencil" operation in R 514 nor
the "many papers" concept in R L376. Moreover, it is misleading to state on
slide 30, "A shaded oval negates the nested EG. Without shading, the EG
expresses a proposition that is neither asserted nor negated." As you know
very well, Peirce did not introduce shading for negation until 1911. Up
until then, *any *oval--except the one-of-a-kind RLT example, where a rheme
is attached to it--negates the nested EG.

Again, the sole reason that Peirce expresses for needing to add a Delta
part to EGs is "in order to deal with modals," which for him are
propositions involving possibility and necessity. The synthesis that I am
now contemplating would satisfy that one criterion by combining the graphs
scribed in R 339:[340r] with the "red pencil" improvement in R 514 and the
"many papers" concept in R L376.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt